Living in Detroit
Wayne State University is in the heart of Detroit, Michigan, the 11th largest metropolis in the United States and home of the auto industry. Living on or around Wayne State's campus puts you within walking distance to Detroit cultural attractions such as the Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Detroit Historical Museum, Fox Theatre and the Michigan Science Center. Wayne State students also benefit from being right down the street from many major U.S. employers -- many of which employ students in internship, co-op, part- or full-time positions. Within the city there are also numerous resources and organizations designed to assist international communities and students such as Global Detroit and Welcome Mat Detroit.
It's a great time to be at Wayne State and in the Motor City. Explore Detroit today!
Visit Wayne State's Office of Economic Development for information on living in Midtown Detroit, transit and mobility options, and campus public safety.
Living on campus
The College of Engineering and the Office of Housing & Residential Life have created a brand new Engineering Living-Learning Community (ELLC). The ELLC consists of up to 70 students, majoring in engineering, technology and computer science, all living together on a dedicated floor in Ghafari Hall.
Benefits for students living in the ELLC:
- Have a tailor-made opportunity to form effective peer study groups.
- Receive dedicated mentoring from upperclassmen Residential Academic Mentors.
- Interact closely with College of Engineering faculty members, on-site academic advisors, student organization leaders and engineering upperclassmen.
- Use a specialized computing facility in Ghafari Hall, supported by College of Engineering technical staff, with access to all of the college's advanced engineering software.
- Enjoy social outings with an engineering flair, such as commercial and industrial facility tours and the Detroit Auto Show.
If you have already completed your application, you may update your preferences with the Wayne State Office of Housing & Residential Life. Hurry, this opportunity is first-come, first-served!
Additional on-campus housing options
In addition to the ELLC, the Office of Housing & Residential Life offers a host of other residence hall and apartment options on campus.