"Welcome to the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science at Wayne State University. Located in the heart of Detroit and connected with chemical, biomedical, and materials industries and academia, our department consists of a dynamic and caring community of teachers, researchers and scholars. Currently, the department has 15 full-time faculty, two full-time staff, 60 graduate students, 170 undergraduate students, and 10 research and postdoctoral staff members. Our students are our highest priority. We provide our students the basic knowledge in thermodynamics, transport phenomena and process safety, as well as a cutting-edge research experience in advanced materials, nanoengineering and sustainable manufacturing with our nationally recognized faculty members. We are proud of the impact of our students and alumni on our professional community."
– Department Chair and Professor Guangzhao Mao
Department chair, founding director of the nanoengineering undergraduate certificate program and co-director of the multidisciplinary nanotechnology incubator program.
- Wayne State receives $1 million NSF grant to support commuter students in engineering
- Wayne State professors receive $500k from NSF to enhance computational research
- Chemical engineering students and alumni unite for new industry mentorship program
- Chemical engineering senior Monica Shammas to give student commencement address