"Welcome to the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science at Wayne State University. Located in the heart of Detroit and connected with chemical, materials, and manufacturing industries and academia, our department consists of a dynamic and caring community of teachers, researchers, students, and staff. Currently, the department has 17 full-time faculty, 2 full-time staff, ~ 70 graduate students, ~ 185 undergraduate students, and ~ 10 research and postdoctoral fellows. Our students are our highest priority. We provide our students the basic knowledge in thermodynamics, transport phenomena, and process safety, as well as a cutting-edge research experience in advanced materials, nanoengineering, and sustainable chemical processes with our nationally recognized faculty members. We are proud of the impact of our students and alumni on their profession and community."
– Department Chair and Professor Guangzhao Mao
Fellow of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering. National Science Foundation’s CAREER Award. Outstanding Faculty Service Award. Research advisor and mentor to more than 30 graduate and 45 undergraduate students.
- Engineering students receive 2019-20 UROP funding
- Wayne State spinoff Repela Tech awarded two competitive National Science Foundation grants for marine coating technology
- Wayne State and BASF collaborating on second annual lecture series with world renowned chemical engineers
- Hitting the ground running: How internships give Wayne State engineering students the edge