"Welcome to the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science at Wayne State University. Located in the heart of Detroit and connected with chemical, biomedical, and materials industries and academia, our department consists of a dynamic and caring community of teachers, researchers and scholars. Currently, the department has 15 full-time faculty, two full-time staff, 60 graduate students, 170 undergraduate students, and 10 research and postdoctoral staff members. Our students are our highest priority. We provide our students the basic knowledge in thermodynamics, transport phenomena and process safety, as well as a cutting-edge research experience in advanced materials, nanoengineering and sustainable manufacturing with our nationally recognized faculty members. We are proud of the impact of our students and alumni on our professional community."
– Department Chair and Professor Guangzhao Mao
Fellow of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering. National Science Foundation’s CAREER Award. Outstanding Faculty Service Award. Research advisor and mentor to more than 30 graduate and 45 undergraduate students.
- Chemical engineering department issues $38,500 in scholarships to undergraduate students
- Chemical engineering student-athlete earns spot on Team Ontario for Canada Summer Games
- Wayne State alumni’s scholarships enable 13 students to dream big about their futures
- Chemical engineering doctoral student receives AIChE award for paper on sustainability methods