"Welcome to the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science at Wayne State University. Located in the heart of Detroit and connected with chemical, biomedical, and materials industries and academia, our department consists of a dynamic and caring community of teachers, researchers and scholars. Currently, the department has 15 full-time faculty, two full-time staff, 60 graduate students, 170 undergraduate students, and 10 research and postdoctoral staff members. Our students are our highest priority. We provide our students the basic knowledge in thermodynamics, transport phenomena and process safety, as well as a cutting-edge research experience in advanced materials, nanoengineering and sustainable manufacturing with our nationally recognized faculty members. We are proud of the impact of our students and alumni on our professional community."
– Department Chair and Professor Guangzhao Mao
National Science Foundation’s CAREER and BRIDGE awards. Young Scientist Award from the International Congress on Catalysis. President of the Michigan Catalysis Society. Symposium chair for the 2014 ACS Catalysis Lectureship for the Advancement of Catalytic Science. Key to establishing WSU Nanoengineering. Multiple collaborations with local schools to engage K-12 students in science and engineering.
- MTRAC awards spark biomedical innovation at Wayne State University
- Nikolla named to I&EC Research 2017 Class of Influential Researchers
- Chemical engineering department issues $38,500 in scholarships to undergraduate students
- Chemical engineering student-athlete earns spot on Team Ontario for Canada Summer Games