"Welcome to the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science at Wayne State University. Located in the heart of Detroit and connected with chemical, materials, and manufacturing industries and academia, our department consists of a dynamic and caring community of teachers, researchers, students, and staff. Currently, the department has 17 full-time faculty, 2 full-time staff, ~ 70 graduate students, ~ 185 undergraduate students, and ~ 10 research and postdoctoral fellows. Our students are our highest priority. We provide our students the basic knowledge in thermodynamics, transport phenomena, and process safety, as well as a cutting-edge research experience in advanced materials, nanoengineering, and sustainable chemical processes with our nationally recognized faculty members. We are proud of the impact of our students and alumni on their profession and community."
– Department Chair and Professor Guangzhao Mao
Fellow of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering. National Science Foundation’s CAREER Award. Outstanding Faculty Service Award. Research advisor and mentor to more than 30 graduate and 45 undergraduate students.
- Engineering Alumni Spotlight: Kevin Mayne
- College of Engineering to welcome new Hall of Fame members for 2020
- Median salaries for recent Wayne State engineering graduates in four departments rank among highest in U.S.
- Wayne State engineering students working with Therapeutics to battle opioid epidemic