Frequently asked questions for Transfer students.

  • How do I apply?

    Visit the transfer students section of the admissions website and follow the Application Checklist listed.

  • What programs do you offer?
    • Bachelors of Science in Computer Technology (often abbreviated as CT)
    • Bachelors of Science in Construction Management (often abbreviated as CMT)
    • Bachelors of Science in Electromechanical Engineering Technology (often abbreviated as EMT)
    • Bachelors of Science in Electrical/Electronic  Engineering Technology (often abbreviated as EET)
    • Bachelors of Science in Electrical Transportation Technology (often abbreviated as ETT)
    • Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology (often abbreviated as MCT)
    • Masters of Science in Engineering Technology (often abbreviated as MSET)
  • Where do I send my transcripts?

    Send official transcripts to:

    Transfer Credit Evaluation
    Office of Undergraduate Admissions
    Wayne State University
    P.O. Box 02759
    Detroit, MI  48202-0759

  • How can I maximize my total courses transferred?
    • Use a transfer guide
    • Talk to ET advisor
  • How do I check the WSU equivalency tables to see if a class transfers?

    Step 1: Go to transfercredit.wayne.edu

    Step 2: In the gray box, type in your Community College

    Step 3: Choose your institution from the list

    Search by the “List courses starting with:” 
    If possible, make sure the class transfers before you take the class!

    Technology courses
    Search by the “List courses starting with:”

    Classes that show up on the table as ET, MCT or EET 1XXX may be used as lower division tech electives. You only can use 20 credits of these electives for graduation. If you have 20 credits in this area, concentrate on the MATH and Science section of your transfer.

    General education
    Use the “Display courses with this General Education Attribute” box to find pre-approved Courses.


  • I have 96 credits from community college. What classes will transfer?

    It is possible that all your credits will transfer to Wayne State University, but that does not mean that we will be able to use them in your plan of study. To see what classes will transfer:

    1. Go to transfercredit.wayne.edu
    2. Enter your school name (grey box)
    3. Search by entering the courses you took.
  • For some reason, none of my tech classes transferred, why not?

    There are many reasons why classes may not have transferred:

    • It is possible that your courses have not been evaluated yet.
    • It is possible that you are listed under the wrong major.
    • Transfer issues can be clarified by contacting the ET advisor (313) 577-0802
  • Maximum Transfer - facts about transfer:
    • Students who obtain the maximum number of transfer credits do so by taking a mix of math, science, technology, and general education courses.
    • There is a limit to the number of technology courses that can be used in the plan of study. Generally this number is 30 (40 for computer technology students.) These classes fall into the area of lower division technical on the plan of study.
    • It is rare for classes at the community college to used as upper division courses (3000+ classes). There are exceptions: Students who have taken a three-credit-hour (or more) manufacturing processes class are likely to get credit for MIT 3520 and MIT 3500. Students should not expect to transfer in core classes from community college.
    • Once a requirement is filled, any other classes that meet that requirement will not be used even though they “transfer.”

    For example introductory biology and psychology courses usually meet the requirement for life science. A Henry Ford Community College student who has taken both BIO 131 and PSY 131 will see that both classes transfer, however, only one will be used on your ET plan of study. The same goes for lower division technical electives, after accumulating 21 credits in this area, all additional technical credits will not be used.

  • How does one receive the maximum transfer?

    Students who follow a transfer plan of study usually receive the most credits when it comes time to transfer. A transfer plan of study lists all the classes required for an ET degree, and also lists which classes can be taken at a specific community college.

    For those intending to transfer from other institutions should contact the ET advisor for guidance in this area.

  • Can I make an advising appointment before I apply?

    Yes. But there are particular times of the year that are especially high volume, like during the first month of every semester. If you have already applied you will be given priority at these times. (313) 577-0802

  • What should I bring with me to my advising appointment?
    • If it is your first appointment with the ET academic advisor, you should bring transcripts from ALL higher education institution you have attended.
    • If it is a subsequent appointment, you should bring this paperwork along with any materials given to you during your other meetings.
150 years in the heart of Detroit