Program mission and ojectives
The mission of the undergraduate program in industrial engineering is to educate our students for leadership positions in a broad spectrum of employment including: manufacturing, supply chain management and logistics, health care, banking, information management and related disciplines.
Program objectives 2006 to 2012 (updated 9/6/2006)
Building on skills developed in the academic program, and extended by experience and personal self-improvement, the graduates of our program have ability to:
- Apply the tools and techniques of industrial engineering to make value-based decisions,
- Identify opportunities and formulate solutions which integrate technological and human systems to create value,
- and Provide leadership as a member of high performance teams in a diverse global business environment
Program objectives 2012 to 2018 (updated 12/7/2010)
Vision: The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering offers the BSIE to prepare our students for a broad range of employment opportunities that include operations management, manufacturing and healthcare. Our vision is to produce graduates who will lead their organizations to competitive advantage by applying the tools and techniques of industrial engineering. We believe that exposing students to diverse industries in our educational program will enhance their professional skills.
To support the vision of our program we have defined three high-level objectives we expect our students to achieve in three to five years following graduation:
- Apply the tools and techniques of industrial engineering to make decisions that add value to their organization,
- Identify opportunities and formulate solutions which integrate technological and human systems, and
- Provide leadership as a member of high performance teams.
Consistency of program objectives with university mission statement
The Wayne State University mission statement:
We will create and advance knowledge, prepare a diverse student body to thrive, and positively impact local and global communities.
The mission of the undergraduate program in industrial engineering supports the Wayne State mission.