Program mission and objectives
The mission of the undergraduate program in industrial engineering is to educate our students for leadership positions in a broad spectrum of employment including: manufacturing, supply chain management and logistics, health care, banking, information management and related disciplines.
Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering (BSIE)
The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering offers the B.S. in Industrial Engineering to prepare students for a broad range of employment opportunities that include operations management, manufacturing, and healthcare. Our vision is to produce graduates who will lead their organizations to competitive advantage by applying the tools and techniques of industrial engineering. We believe that exposing students to diverse industries in our educational program will enhance their professional skills.
Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE)
Provide an exceptional education in industrial & systems engineering that is accessible to a diverse population. Use practical and applied research that creates knowledge regarding complex systems. Create immediate and long-term impacts to our metropolitan and global communities.
Provide distinguished industrial & systems engineering programs that advance knowledge, solve challenges, and develop a vibrant student body. Driven by our esteemed faculty, our department educates our students and empowers our alumni to impact the local and global communities.
Strategic Planning Goals of ISE
- Solidify partnerships with leaders in industry, government & academia to provide solutions of regional, national and global importance
- Recruit, educate and graduate a high quality & diverse undergraduate & graduate student body
- Cultivate programs that empower students, staff, and faculty to be leaders in innovation, entrepreneurship, technology, service, and foster a global mindset.
- To improve our rankings as one the most highly respected ISE programs nationally and internationally by 5%
- Launch a comprehensive alumni engagement program to foster stronger relationships & new opportunities
Program Educational Objectives (PEO) of ISE (Approved in 2012):
To support the vision of our program we have defined three high-level objectives we expect our students to achieve in three to five years following graduation:
Building on skills developed in the academic program, and extended by experience and personal self-improvement, the graduates of our program have the ability to:
- Apply the tools and techniques of industrial engineering to make decisions which add value to their organization,
- Identify opportunities and formulate solutions which integrate technological and human systems,
- Provide leadership as a member of high performance teams.
Consistency of program objectives with university mission statement
The Wayne State University mission statement:
We will create and advance knowledge, prepare a diverse student body to thrive, and positively impact local and global communities.
The mission of the undergraduate program in industrial engineering supports the Wayne State mission.