The first component of the modern Wayne State University was established in 1868 as the Detroit Medical College. In 1933, the Detroit Board of Education established six colleges, which included Engineering. In January 1934, the institution was officially named Wayne University. The Industrial Engineering Department appears in the catalog in the University Bulletin of 1944-45 and the first IE degree was awarded in 1948, making our program one of the first IE programs in the nation. The department developed strong programs in traditional IE focus areas targeting manufacturing systems, human factors, operations management, quality management and health care.