Master's Program Requirements
- Master's degree students must submit a Plan of Work by the time they accumulate 12 credits. Please check with your department guidelines for more specific requirements.
- The Plan of Work must meet the department's degree requirements. Once a Plan of Work is submitted, the student's status will change to Master's Candidate. You can find more information on this process here.
- The Graduate School's Master's Degree requirements can be found here. For more specific information on Master's Degree requirements, please check with your department.
- Master's degree requirements must be completed within six years of the date of the first course applied toward the degree. More information can be found on time limitations here.
MS Thesis Requirements
- The MS Thesis committee must consist of at least 3 members, a minimum of 2 members must be from the student's home department with graduate faculty status. An Industrial member with a Ph.D. may be a member of the thesis committee.
- A list of MS Thesis deadlines can be found here. This website is updated each semester with specific deadlines.
- The College of Engineering's last day to defend is the last day of classes.
- The MS Thesis is expected to have the length and content that is comprarable to a peer reviewed journal article or equivalent. Computer Science MS Theses are expected to be comparable to a conference paper or presentation.
- MS Thesis formatting guidelines can be found here. Submit your thesis for a format check to Sondra Auerbach two weeks prior to your defense. The College of Engineering follows the specifications of Wayne State University's Graduate School for dissertation manuscript formatting which includes guidelines for margins, spacing, pagination, and the order of parts.
- SafeAssign checks need to be completed by the Thesis Advisor at least one week prior to the defense. Please submit the completed Master's Thesis SafeAssign Certification form to Sondra Auerbach.
- Please note: Both the format check and SafeAssign Certification need to be completed as part of your master's degree requirements.
- Immediately following the MS Thesis defense, the thesis manuscript must be submitted electronically to the Graduate School. More information on Thesis submission can be found via the Graduate School.
- More information on the MS Thesis can be found via your department's Graduate Handbook or the Graduate School.