Admission to this program is contingent upon satisfying the following requirements:
1) Graduate School requirements, which are listed at https://wayne.edu/admissions/graduate/admission-requirements/
2) Departmental requirements:
- Students with a minimum overall GPA of 3.5/4.0 in their MSME program may be recommended for regular admission.
- All students must have an MS in Mechanical Engineering or a very similar field. Applicants without an MS Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- All applicants must submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores.
- Students with an undergraduate GPA of 3.5/4.0 or better may apply for direct admission to the Ph.D. program. Students with an undergraduate GPA less than 3.5/4.0 must complete a master's degree in mechanical engineering prior to consideration for admission to the Ph.D. program.
- International applicants are required to submit a WES Evaluation for their transcripts. Note that the official transcript evaluation must be transmitted directly from WES to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- All students who have earned degrees from a country where English is not the native language must have a minimum TOEFL score of 79 from internet-based TOEFL (iBT) or 550 from a paper-based TOEFL (pBT) or IELTS score of 6.5.
- All applicants must pay the $50 Application Fee.
Please note: your application will not be assessed until all necessary items are submitted via our online application at gradapply.wayne.edu. For questions about your application, please contact Ellen Cope, graduate program coordinator.
For admission and full funding consideration, please have your application completed by March 1st. Most decisions will be released by April 1st.