Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering
2215 Biomedical Engineering
Ph.D in Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, 1994
MS in Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, 1992
BS in Biomedical Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, The Johns Hopkins University, 1990
- BME 1910 - BME 1920 - Biomedical Engineering Design Labs I - II
- BE 3900 - National Design Competition Participant
- BE 5900 - National Design Compeitions
- BME 2910 - BME 2920 - Biomedical Engineering Design Labs III - IV
- BME 4210 - Introduction to Biomechanics
- BME 5000 - Introduction to BIomedical Engineering
- BME 5010 (CHE/ECE/ISE/ME 5100) - Engineering Physiology
- BME 5050 -
- BME 5210 (ME 5160) - Musculoskeletal BIomechanics
- BME 5370 (ME/MSE 5180) - Introduction to Biomaterials
- BME 5390 - Experimental Methods in Biomaterials
- BME 5570 (ME 5170) - Intro to Rehabilitation Engineering
- BME 7210 - Tissue Biomechanics
- BME 7300 (ME/MSE 7180) - Advanced Topics in Biomaterials and Tissue Biomechanics
- BME 8080 - Doctoral Seminar in BIomedical Engineering
- BE 0900 - BE 0991 - Skills for Success in Engineering I - II
- BE 5995 - Collaborative Design with Industrial Design Students
- ME 2400 - Statics & Mechanics of Materials
- Biomechanics of neonatal injury
- Orthopaedic biomechanics
- Tissue characterization using ultrasound
- Biomedical engineering education
- Grimm, M.J., and Gonik, B., "Response to Letter on 'Effect of Clinician-Applied Maneuvers on Brachial Plexus Stretch during a Shoulder Dystocia Event: Assessment through Computer Modeling,'" American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 204(6)e14-15, 2011.
- Grimm, M.J., Costello, R., and Gonik, B., "Effect of Clinician-Applied Maneuvers on Brachial Plexus Stretch during a Shoulder Dystocia Event: Assessment through Computer Modeling," American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 203(4):339.e1-5, 2010.
- Amenson, T.T., Begeman, P.C., Melvin, J.W., and Grimm, M.J., "Development of the MADYMO Race Car Driver Model for Frontal Impact Simulation and Thoracolumbar Spine Injury Prediction in Indianapolis-type Racing Car Drivers," SAE Paper 2008-01-2975, 2008 Motorsports Engineering Conference, December, 2008.
- Yeni, Y.N., Shaffer, R.R., Baker, K.C., Dong, X.N., Grimm, M.J., Les, C.M., and Fyhrie, D.P., "The Effect of Yield Damage on the Viscoelastic Properties of Cortical Bone Tissue as Measured by Dynamic Mechanical Analysis," Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 82(3):530-537, 2007
- Troxel, T.B., Melvin, J.W., Begeman, P.C., and Grimm, M.J., "Biomechanical Investigation of Thoracolumbar Spine Fractures in Indianapolis-type Racing Car Drivers during Frontal Impacts," SAE Paper 06MSEC-18, 2006 Motorsports Engineering Conference, December, 2006.
- Lippert, S.A., and Grimm, M.J., "High Frequency Mechanical Properties of Brain Tissue," Biorheology, 41(6):681-691, 2004.
- Gonik, B., and Grimm, M., "Response to 'Computer Modeling of Shoulder Dystocia,'" American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 190(6):1805, 2004.
- Gonik, B., Zhang, N., Grimm, M.J., "Prediction of Brachial Plexus Stretching During Shoulder Dystocia Using a Computer Simulation Model," American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 189(4):1168-1172, 2003.
- Markel, D.C., Critchfield, J., Chaffin, A., Wooley, P.H., and Grimm, M.J., "Cement Pressurization after Provisional Repair of Femoral Cortical Defects," American Journal of Orthopedics, 32(5):229-233, 2003.
- Gonik, B., Zhang, N., Grimm, M.J., "Defining Forces Associated with Shoulder Dystocia: Use of a Mathematical Dynamics Computer Model (MADYMO)," American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 188(4):1068-1072, 2003.
- Lippert, S.A., Rang, E.M., and Grimm, M.J. "The 'Wave-In-A-Tube' Method for Estimation of Mechanical Properties of Viscoelastic Materials Using Ultrasound," Journal of Materials Testing, 31(1):73-75, 2003.
Recent book chapters:
- Grimm, M.J., and Costello, R.E., "Biomechanics of Obstetrical Brachial Plexus Injuries," In Pathomechanics of Injury and Disease and Mechanophysiology of Healing, Research Signpost, Kerala, India, (Edited by Amit Gefen), 2009 (Peer Reviewed).
- Grimm, M.J., "Orthopaedic Biomaterials," In Standard Handbook for Biomedical Engineering and Design, 2nd Ed. (Edited by Kutz, M.), McGraw-Hill, New York, 2009.
- Wooley, P.H., Radin, E., and Grimm, M.J., "The Structure and Function of Joints," In Arthritis and Allied Conditions (Edited by W.J. Koopman and L. Moreland), Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins, 2005.
Recent published reports:
- Neonatal Brachial Plexus Palsy, Task Force on Neonatal Brachial Plexus Palsy, American College for Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Washington DC, 2014 (100 pages)
- Commissioner, Engineering Accreditation Commision, 2015-2020
- Program Evaluator, Biomedical Engineering
- American Society for Engineering Education
- Bioengineering Division Executive Committee, 2000-2009
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers - Fellow
- Chair, Bioengineering Division, 2013-2014
- Chair-Elect, Bioengineering Division, 2012-2013
- Secretary, Bioengineering Division, 2011-2012
- Bioengineering Division Executive Committee, 2006-2014
- Conference Chair for ASME, 2014 World Congress of Biomechanics
- Biomedical Engineering Society - Member
- Accreditation Activities Committee
- Society of Automotive Engineers - Member
- Faculty Advisor, Formula SAE
Awards and Honors
Executive Leadership in Academic Technology & Engineering (ELATE) Fellow, 2015 - 2016
Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Engineering, Wayne State University, 2012
Outstanding Faculty Service Award, College of Engineering, Wayne State University (selected by student vote), 2011, 2012
Elected Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineering, 2011
- Ralph H. Isbrandt Automotive Safety Engineering Award, for "Biomechanical Investigation of Thoracolumbar Spine Fractures in Indianapolis-type Racing Car Drivers during Frontal Impacts," T. Troxel, J. Melvin, P. Begeman, M. Grimm, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), 2006.
- Award for Research Excellence, Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine, for "Effect of Clinician Applied Maneuvers on Fetal Brachial Plexus Strain During Shoulder Dystocia," B. Gonik, R. Costello, N. Zhang, and M. Grimm, February 2004.
- Whitaker Foundation Academic Leadership Fellow, June 2003
- Award for Research Excellence, Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine, for "Defining Forces Associated with Shoulder Dystocia: Use of a Dynamic Computer Model (MADYMO)," B. Gonik, N. Zhang, and M. Grimm, January 2002.