Professor, Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Alternative Energy Technology, Electric-drive Vehicle Engineering
D. Eng., 1976
University of Detroit
Biomaterials and biocompatibility; biodiesel; energy education.
Research Statement and Highlights:
Alternatives to conventional energy sources are being avidly pursued in many different research arenas. Biomass sources for alternative fuels, such as corn and soybeans, are renewable and can be produced locally, and thus contribute to local economies. Unfortunately, fuel from food crops sets up competition between fuel and food, raising the cost of both. Non-food crop sources of biomass, on the other hand, are particularly attractive, especially if they do not take up cropland or other valuable resources. Algae, which consume carbon dioxide and use light as their primary energy source, are being studied in the National Biofuels Energy Lab (NBEL) for their potential use as a future source of oil for fuel.
Materials for medical applications, such as those in artificial organs and implantable devices and sensors, must be designed to be able to function for long periods of time while "fooling" the host immune system that they are not "foreign" in their environment. We have studied a variety of "passive" coatings on materials for applications ranging from artificial lungs, cerebral ventricle drainage catheters, and neurosensors.
- Haiying Tang, Ting Cao, Xuemei Liang, Anfeng Wang, Steven O. Salley, James P.McAllister II, K. Y. Simon Ng. "Influence of Silicone Surface Roughness and Hydrophobicity on Bacterial Adhesion and Colonization" Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, Part A, 88(2), 454-463, 2009.
- Wang A., McAllister J. P., Finlayson P., Li J., Brabant K., Cao T., Black C., Tang H.,Liang X., Salley S. O., Auner G. W., Ng K. Y. S., "Stability and inflammatory response of silicon coated with fluoroalkyl self-assembled monolayer in the central nervous system", Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 81A(2), 363-372, 2007
- Shuli Yan, Steven O. Salley, and K. Y. Simon Ng, "Simultaneous Transesterification and Esterification of Unrefined or Waste Oils over ZnO-La2O3, Applied Catalysis A, 353(2), 203-212, 2009.
- Kapila Wadumesthrige, Mahbuba Ara, Steven O. Salley, and K. Y. Simon Ng, "Investigation of Lubricity Characteristics of Biodiesel in Petroleum and Synthetic Fuel," Energy and Fuels, 23, 2229-2234, 2009.
- Rhet C. De Guzman, Haiying Tang, Steven O. Salley, and K. Y. Simon Ng. "Synergistic Effects of Antioxidants on the Oxidative Stability of Soybean Oil- and Poultry Fat-Based Biodiesel," Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, 86, 459-467, 2009.
- Shuli Yan, Manhoe Kim, Steven O. Salley, and K. Y. Simon Ng, "Oil Transesterification over Calcium Oxides Modified with Lanthanum," Applied Catalysis A, 360, 163-170, 2009.
- Haiying Tang, Rhet C. De Guzman, Steven O. Salley, K. Y. Simon Ng. "The oxidative stability of biodiesel:Effects of FAME composition and antioxidant," Lipid Technology, Vol. 20, NO. 11, November 2008.
- Kim, Manhoe; Salley, Steven; Ng, K. Y. Simon, "Transesterification of Glycerides using a Heterogeneous Resin Catalyst Combined with a Homogeneous Catalyst," Energy and Fuel, 22(6), 3594-3599, 2008.
- Huali Wang, Haiying Tang, John Wilson, Steven O. Salley and K. Y. Simon Ng "Total Acid Number Determination of Biodiesel and Biodiesel Blends" Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, 85(11), 1083-1086, 2008.
- Kapila Wadumesthrige, Jeremiah. C. Smith, John R. Wilson, Steven O. Salley, and K. Y. Simon Ng "Investigation of the Parameters Affecting Cetane Number of Biodiesel," Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, 85(11), 1073-1081, 2008.
- Haiying Tang, Nadia Abunasser, Anfeng Wang, Bradley R. Clark, Kapila Wadumesthrige, Sidong Zeng, Manhoe Kim, Steven O. Salley, Gary Hirschlieb, John Wilson, and K. Y. Simon Ng. "Quality Survey of Biodiesel Blends Sold at Retail Stations," Fuel 87(13-14), 3006-3017, 2008