Associate Professor of Marketing- Mike Ilitch School of Business
Assistant Professor of Marketing, John Carroll University, 2004-2006
Senior Geologist, Hindustan Copper Limited, India, 1997-1999
Ph.D. (Marketing), Louisiana State University
M.S. in Geology, University of Calcutta, India
B.S. (major in Geology), Presidency College, Calcutta, India
- Marketing Management
- Marketing Strategy
- Marketing Research
- Marketing Engineering
- Behavioral implications of marketplace signals
- Behavioral issues in pricing
- Krishnan, Balaji C., Sujay Dutta and Subhash Jha (2013) "Effectiveness of Exaggerated Advertised Reference Prices: The Role of Decision Time Pressure," Journal of Retailing, 89 (1): 105-113;DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2012.11.001.
- Dutta, Sujay (2012) "Vulnerability to Low Price Signals: An Experimental Study of Effectiveness of Genuine and False Signals," Journal of Retailing, 88 (1): 156-167. http://dx.doi.org/DOI:10.1016/j.jretai.2011.08.003.
- Dutta, Sujay, Abhijit Biswas and Dhruv Grewal (2011) "Regret from Post-purchase Discovery of Lower Prices: Do Price Refunds Help?" Journal of Marketing, 75 (November): 124-138; DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1509/jm.10.0271.
- Dutta, Sujay and Chris Pullig(2011) "Effectiveness of Corporate Responses to Brand Crises: The Role of Crisis Type," Journal of Business Research, 64 (12): 1281-1287, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.01.013.
- Biswas, Dipayan, Sujay Dutta and Abhijit Biswas (2009) "Individual Effects of Product Quality Signals in the Presence versus Absence of Other Signals: Differential Effects across Brick-and-mortar and Online Settings," Journal of Product and Brand Management, 18 (7): 487-496.
- Yagci, Mehmet, Abhijit Biswas and Sujay Dutta (2009) "The Effects of Comparative Advertising Format on Consumer Responses: The Moderating Effects of Brand Image and Attribute Relevance," Journal of Business Research, 62 (8): 768-774.
- Dutta, Sujay, and Sandeep Bhowmick (2009) "Consumer Responses to Offline and Online Low Price Signals: The Role of Cognitive Elaboration," Journal of Business Research, 62 (6): 629-635.
- Dutta, Sujay, Abhijit Biswas, and Dhruv Grewal (2007) "Low Price Signal Default: An Empirical Investigation of its Consequences," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 35: 76-88.
- Biswas, Abhijit, Sujay Dutta and Chris Pullig (2006) "Low Price Guarantees as Signals of Lowest Price: The Moderating Role of Perceived Price Dispersion," Journal of Retailing, 82 (3): 245-257.
- Dutta, Sujay and Abhijit Biswas (2005) "Effects of low price guarantees on consumer post-purchase search intention: The moderating roles of value consciousness and penalty level," Journal of Retailing, 81 (4): 283-291.
Association for Consumer Research
American Marketing Association
Awards and Honors
Ronald F. Shuman Award for best graduate student paper in Management History, 2001 Academy of Management Conference