Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Professor, Cardiovascular Research Institute, School of Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI. 2014-Present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI. 2013-Present
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Cardiovascular Institute and the Stem Cell Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, CA. 2008-2013
B.S.E., Materials Science and Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
M.S.E., Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine
- Biomaterials Applications
- Cardiac and Musculoskeletal Systems
- Stem Cell Differentiation and Transplantation
- Cellular and Tissue Biomechanics
- Extracellular Matrix Interactions
- Cell adhesion
- Translational Studies
1. Pinnock CB, Xu Z, Lam MT. “Scaling of Engineered Vascular Grafts using 3D Printed Guides and the Ring Stacking Method.” In revision.
2. Meier EM, Siddiqui A, Tepper DG, Lam MT. Increased strain rate and suture angle lead to early mechanical failure of sutured human skin. Under review.
3. Xu Z and Lam MT, “Alginate Application for Heart and Cardiovascular Diseases,” book chapter 14, in Springer Series in Biomaterials Science and Engineering. Volume: Alginates and their Biomedical Applications. Eds: BHA Rehm, F Moradali. Springer. 2016.
4. Meier EM and Lam MT. Role of mechanical stimulation in stem cell differentiation. JSM Biotechnol Bioeng. 2016, 3(3): 1060.
5. Zakhem E, Murphy SV, Davis ML, Raghavan S, Lam MT. Introductory Editorial: Image and Video Acquisition and Processing for Clinical Applications. Biomed Eng Comput Biol. 2016:Suppl. 1 35-38.
6. Meier EM, Wu B, Siddiqui A, Tepper DG, Longaker MT, Lam MT. Mechanical Stimulation Increases RNA-level Expression of Knee Meniscus Genes in Adipose-derived Stromal Cells. Accepted. 2016 DOI: 10.1097/GOX.0000000000000854
7. Pinnock CB, Meier EM, Joshi N, Wu B, Lam MT. Customizable Engineered Blood Vessels Using 3D Printed Inserts. Methods (Special issue-Invitation only). 2016;15(99):20-7.
8. Lam MT, Nauta AC, Meyer NP, Wu JC, Longaker MT. Effective delivery of stem cells using an extracellular matrix patch results in increased cell survival and proliferation and reduced scarring in skin wound healing. Tissue Eng Part A. 2013;19(5-6):1-10.
9. Lam MT, Wu JC. Biomaterials Applications in Cardiovascular Tissue Repair and Regeneration. Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy. 2012;10(8):1039-49.
10. Lam MT, Longaker MT. Comparison of several attachment methods for human iPS, embryonic and adipose-derived stem cells for tissue engineering. J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2012;6 Suppl 3:s80-6.
11. Hammerick KE, Huang Z, Sun N, Lam MT, Prinz FB, Wu JC, Commons GW, Longaker MT. Elastic properties of induced pluripotent stem cells. Tissue Eng Part A. 2011;17(3-4):495-502.
12. Raghavan S, Lam MT, Foster LL, Gilmont RR, Somara S, Takayama S, Bitar KN. Bioengineered three-dimensional physiological model of colonic longitudinal smooth muscle in vitro. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2010;16(5):999-1009.
13. Lam MT, Huang YC, Birla RK, Takayama S. Microfeature guided skeletal muscle tissue engineering for highly organized 3-dimensional free-standing constructs. Biomaterials. 2009;30(6):1150-5.
14. Lam MT, Clem WC, Takayama S. Reversible on-demand cell alignment using reconfigurable microtopography. Biomaterials. 2008;29(11):1705-12.
15. Lam MT, Sim S, Zhu X, Takayama S. The effect of continuous wavy micropatterns on silicone substrates on the alignment of skeletal muscle myoblasts and myotubes. Biomaterials. 2006;27(24):4340-7.
16. Lam MT, “Non-implantable and diagnostic bio-nanosystems,” section 3, book chapter 10 in NNIN Nanotechnology Open Textbook, Eds. Maharbiz MM, Najafi K, National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network, 2006.
Awards and Honors
- Multi-Disciplinary Training Program in Cardiovascular Imaging at Stanford (CVIS) Postdoctoral Fellowship (T32), 2011
- Summer Institute for Entrepreneurship Certificate, Graduate School of Business (GSB), Stanford University, 2011
- Stanford GSB Summer Institute for Entrepreneurship Fellow Award for Exemplary Performance, 2011
- Henzl-Gabor Young Women in Science Travel Fellowship, 2010
- Kathleen McCormick Committee to Support Women in Medical Careers Postdoctoral Travel Grant, 2010
- Ethelmae Haldan Grant for Innovative Science in Osteoarthritis, Arthritis National Research Foundation, 2009-2010
- National Institute on Aging (NIA) Multidisciplinary Training in Aging Research Fellow, 2004-2006
- Engineering Academic Scholar, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, 2006
- Best Overall Poster Award, Annual Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Poster Competition, 2005
- University Honors, 2001