Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
5050 Anthony Wayne Dr., Detroit, MI 48202
Phone : (313) 577 - 9962
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Page : blogs.wayne.edu/wees/
Dr. Yongli Zhang is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. Her teaching and research interests focus the sustainability of water-energy nexus.
Water and energy are two critical resources inextricable and reciprocally linked: the generation of energy requires large amounts of water, while the treatment and distribution of water are dependent on reliable and low-cost energy. There are significant challenges in providing both clean, affordable water and energy. These challenges include: water and energy resource depletion, high environmental impacts associated with conventional fossil fuels, emerging contaminants in watersheds, etc. Dr. Zhangs research group is interested in tackling these challenges by integrating bioenergy generation and water management for simultaneous production of bio-based energy and water quality improvement in an integrated, strategic manner via a combination of life cycle modeling and targeted laboratory experiments.
Dr. Zhangs specific research areas include:
- Management of emerging contaminants in natural and engineered water systems;
- Water treatment and water quality;
- Renewable bio-energy, especially as pertaining to algal biofuel;
- Integrated bio-energy generation and wastewater treatment;
- Evaluating economic and environmental sustainability of emerging technologies by using life cycle assessment (LCA), life cycle costing (LCC), and economic and systems-level analyses.
CE 6270_Environmental Management and Sustainable Development
CE 5997/7995_Applied Environmental Microbiology
1. Spatial Life Cycel Assessment of Algal Bioenergy with Available Wastewater, Fluegas, and Land in the U.S.
2. Mixed Algal-bacterial Cultures for Bioenergy Generation and Water Treatment
- Colosi, L.M., Resurreccion, E.P., Zhang, Y.L. Evaluating estrogen removal as a possible sustainability benefit of integrated wastewater treatment and algae cultivation, Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts, (17) 2015, pp. 421-428.
- Zhang, Y.L., Habteselassie, M.Y., Resurreccion, E.P., Mantripragada, V., Peng, S.S., Bauer, S., Colosi, L.M. Evaluating removal of steroid estrogens by a model alga as a possible sustainability benefit of hypothetical integrated algae cultivation and wastewater treatment systems, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 2 (11) 2014, pp. 2544-2553.
- Zhang, Y.L., Colosi, L.M. Practical ambiguities during calculation of energy ratios and their impacts on life cycle assessment calculations, Energy Policy (57) 2013, pp. 630-633.
- Zhang, Y.L., Colosi, L.M. What are we missing by focusing on algae biodiesel? Biofuels 4 (60) 2013, pp. 591-593.
- Zhang, Y.L., White, M.A., Colosi, L.M. Environmental and economic assessment of integrated systems for dairy manure treatment coupled with algae bioenergy production, Bioresource Technology (130) 2013, pp. 486-494.
- Colosi, L.M., Zhang, Y.L., Clarens, A.F., White, M.A. Will algae produce green? Using published life cycle assessments as a starting point for economic evaluation of future algae-to-energy systems, Biofuels 3 (2) 2012, pp. 129-142.
- Zhang, Y.L., Marrs, C.F., Simon, C., Xi, C.W. Wastewater treatment contributes to selective increase of antibiotic resistance among Acinetobacter spp., Science of the Total Environment 407(12) 2009, pp. 3702-3706.
- Xi, C.W., Zhang, Y.L., Marrs, C.F., Ye, W., Simon, C., Foxman, B., and Niragu, J. Prevalence of antibiotic resistance in drinking water treatment and distribution systems, Applied and Environmental Microbiology 75(17) 2009, pp. 5714-5718.
- Xi, C.W., Bush, K., Lachmayr, K.L., Zhang, Y.L., and Ford, T.E. Interactions between environmental microbial ecosystems and humans: the case of the water environment and antibiotic resistance, Food-Borne Microbes: Shaping the Host Ecosystem, edited by Lee-Ann Jaykus, Hua H. Wang, and Larry S. Schlesinger (ASM Press, April 2009).
- Zhang, Y.L., Li, Y.Z., Tang, J.L." Research on the application of DNA chip technique." Guangxi Agricultural and Biological Science (June) 2001, pp. 133-136.
- Li, Y.Z., Zhang, Y.L., Tang, J.L. "An introduction to DNA chip technique." Jiangxi Medical Inspection 18(3) 2000, pp. 170-172.