Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
313-577-3854 (Phone)Download Faculty Photo
5050 Anthony Wayne Dr. (Room 2160), Detroit, MI 48202
- PhD, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2011
- MS, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2008
- BS, Hanyang University, 2002
- Undergraduate course
- Introduction to Geotechnical Engineering (CE 4510), Winter 2012, Winter 2013
- Graduate course
- Advanced Soil Mechanics (CE 7530), Fall 2012
- Geosynthetics (Directed study), Winter 2013
- Graduate Research Assistants
- Xianglei Zheng (Fall 2011~present), PhD student, Pore-network model simulaiton
- Nariman Mahabadi (Fall 2012~present), PhD student, Discrete Element Model
- Undergraduate Research Assistants
- Christopher Robinson (2/2012~8/2012), Ice lens formation
- Devin Partrich (2/2012~8/2012), Clay behavior
- Department of Energy, Verification of capillary pressure functions and relative permeability equations for modeling gas production from gas hydrates, PI: Jaewon Jang (no co-PI), $220,029 (DOE 80%+Wayne 20%) (10/2012~9/2014)
- Jung, J.W., Jang, J., Santamarina, J.C., Tsouris, C., Phelps, T.J., and Rawn, C.J. (2012), Gas production from hydrate bearing sediments – The role of fine particles, Energy & Fuels, 26, 480~487.
- Jang, J. and Santamarina, J.C. (2011), Recoverable gas from hydrate-bearing sediments: Pore-network model simulations and macro-scale analyses, Journal of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth, 116, B08202, doi:10.1029/2010JB007841.
- Jang, J., Narsilio, G.A., and Santamarina, J.C. (2011), Hydraulic conductivity in spatially varying media – A pore-scale investigation, Geophysical Journal International, 184, 1167~1179, doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.2010.04893.x.
- Fragaszy, R.J., Santamarina, J.C., Amekudzi, A., Assimaki, D., Bachus, R., Burns, S.E., Cha, M., Cho, G.C., Cortes, D.D., Dai, S., Espinoza, D.N., Garrow, L., Huang, H., Jang, J., Jung, J.W., Kim, S., Kurtis, K., Lee, C., Pasten, C., Phadnis, H., Rix, G., Shin, H.S., Torres, M.C., and Tsouris, C. (2011), Sustainable development and energy geotechnology - Potential roles for geotechnical engineering, KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 15(4), 611-621.
- Waite, W.F., Santamarina, J.C., Cortes, D.D., Dugan, B., Espinoza, D.N., Germaine, J., Jang, J., Jung, J.W., Kneafsey, T.J., Shin, H., Soga, K., Winters, W.J., and Yun, T-S (2009), Physical properties of hydrate-bearing sediments, Reviews of Geophysics, 47, RG4003, doi:10.1029/2008RG000279.
Papers and Conferences
- Santamarina, J.C. and Jang, J. (2010), Energy geotechnology: Implications of mixed fluid conditions, 5th International Conference on Unsaturated Soils, Sep. 6~8, Barcelona, Spain.
- Santamarina, J.C. and Jang, J. (2009), Gas production from hydrate bearing sediments: Geomechanical implications, Fire in the ice, 9(4), 18-22.
In the News
- Jaewon Jang was featured in a CBS Detroit article about being part of a national project to find accessible sources of natural gas.
- Jaewon Jang was featured in an Oil and Gas Online article about being part of a national project to find accessible sources of natural gas.
- Jaewon Jang was featured in a Super Computing Online article about being part of a national project to find accessible sources of natural gas.