Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Co-Director, WSU One Health Initiative, 2021 – Present
U.S. Chair, Great Lakes Science Advisory Board, International Joint Commission, 2015-Present.
Chair, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Wayne State University, 2007-2012.
Chair, Wayne State University Standing Committee on Environmental Initiatives, 2008-2015.
Chair, College of Engineering, Faculty Assembly, 2002-2004.
Director, WSU,Healthy Urban Waters, 2014-present.
Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Wayne State University, 1998 present.
Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Wayne State University, 1989 - 1998.
Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Wayne State University, 1984 - 1989.
Project Engineer, STS Consultants, Ann Arbor, MI, 1982-1984. Performed water infrastructure analysis, flood, insurance studies, dam safety investigations, groundwater contamination remediation design, and waterway analysis.
PhD in Civil Engineering, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
MSE in Civil Engineering, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
BSE in Civil Engineering, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Ford Community Corps, PI, (12/2020 – 6/2021, $3000), Tree planting data and map creation for Greening of Detroit.
- Environmental Protection Agency – P3 Grant, PI. (6/01/2020-6/01/2021, $26,416), GSI-Informed Urban Groundwater Monitoring Networks.
- CIGLR, Co-PI, (A. Steinman), Groundwater in Crisis: Addressing Groundwater Challenge in Michigan as a Template for the Great Lakes Summit, 2021, $20,000.
- MDHHS, Co-PI (W. Schuster, PI), Dorm-level wastewater monitoring for SARS CoV-2 material: a process-based approach to inform early-warning and control (Wayne State U., Detroit MI) 2020-7510, $263,809.
- CURES (NIEHS Center for Urban Responses to Stressors), PI, Exploring Mechanisms and Pathways of VOC Migration Beneath Detroit's Neighborhoods, 09/14/2020 – 03/31/2022, $65,000.
- The Erb Family Foundation, PI, Healthy Urban Waters – Phase II, $800,000 (2018-2021).
- National Science Foundation, PI, Rapid: Investigations and Analysis Associated with Massive Sewage Blockage, $80,000 (2019-20).
- National Science Foundation, Field Stations and Marine Laboratories: HEART Field Stations for HEALTHY URBAN WATERS (2016-2018). PI
- National Science Foundation, NRT: Transformative Research in Urban Sustainability and Training T-RUST, (2017-2021) $2,900,000; co-PI. (Donna Kashian, PI)
- National Science Foundation, Identifying Generation and Emission Sources for Individual Loads at Specific Locations and Times: Toward Environmentally Sensitive and Guided Electricity Usage, (2015-2018) $359,965; co-PI. NSF, ECCS-1508910. (Caisheng Wang, PI)
- National Institute of Health; National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (2016-2018), Rapid Response to Contaminants in Flint Drinking Water. $421,435 total, McElmurry, S.P.; Miller, C.J.; Pitts, D.K.; Sackey, D.J.; Seeger, M.; Masten, S.J.; Hanna-Attisha, M. McElmurry is PI
- National Science Foundation, REU: Summer Academy in Sustainable Manufacturing (2016); faculty participant (Huang, Rickli co-PIs)
- American Water Works Association (AWWA), (2016). Accelerating the Shift to Environmentally Sensitive Electricity through Collaborative Competition (GLPF project #1072). Total Grant $550,000. WSU portion $150,000. PI
- Michigan Energy Office (2017-2018). PI. Benchmarking Energy Consumption in Detroit’s Municipal Buildings. $80,000. (two awards)
- ERB Family Foundation, (2015-2018). PI. Healthy Urban Waters. $650,000
- National Science Foundation (2015-16), CBET Award # 1541869, A Workshop for Integrative and Sustainable Food, Energy, and Water in Transitioning Urban Landscapes, $28,840. PI
- National Science Foundation (2013-14), Field Station and Marine Laboratory Planning Grant: HEART Field Center. PI
- US Army Corps of Engineers (2014-2016), Dam Capacity II - Analysis under Changing Climate: Modeling, Radionuclide Dating, and Analysis. PI
- DTE Energy (2013-14), Evaluation of Pressure Surge Failure of PVC Piping in Power Plant Operation: Valve Closure Features. PI
- NOAA, Michigan Sea Grant (2014 – 2016), Two-Stage Ditch Design in Macomb County, MI. PI
- Great Lakes Protection Fund (2013-2015), Real-Time Energy Impact Monitors for Residential, Industrial and Policy Use. PI
- State of Michigan (2014-2015), Beach Health Monitoring via Rapid Methods using qPCR: Pilot at Lake St. Clair
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (2012-2014). Great Lakes Large Aquatic Ecosystem Data Exchange. Co-PI.
Wang, C., Wang, Y., Rouholamini, M., & Miller, C. (2021). An Equivalent Circuit-Based Approach for Power and Emission Tracing in Power Networks, IEEE Systems Journal, DOI: 10.1109/JSYST.2021.3067296
Hu, T., Wang, C. and Miller, C. (2021). Identification of Marginal Generation Units Based on Publicly Available Information. Applied Energy. 281, article:116073, DOI: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.116073
Miller, C.J., Runge-Morris M, Cassidy-Bushrow AE, Straughen JK, Dittrich TM, Baker TR, Petriello MC, Mor G, Ruden D, O’Leary B, Teimoori S, Tummala C, Heldman S, Agarwal M, Roth K, Yang Z, Baker BB. (2020). A review of volatile organic compound contamination in post-industrial urban centers: reproductive health implications using a Detroit lens. Int J Environ Res Public Health; 17, 23, 8755; https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/17/23/8755
Wang, J., Baskaran M., Kumar A., Bilhan O., Miller, C. (2020). Reconstruction of Temporal Variations of Metal Concentrations using Radiochronology (239+240Pu and 137Cs) in Sediments from Kizilirmak River, Turkey. Journal of Paleolimnology. DOI: 10.1007/s10933-020-00154-w
Steis Thorsby, J., Miller, C. J., Treemore-Spears, L. (2020). The Role of Green Infrastructure in Flood Mitigation (Detroit, MI, USA) – Case Study. Urban Water Journal, 17, 9, 838-846, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/1573062X.2020.1823429
Vasquez, A., Kabalan, B., Ram, J., Miller, C. (2020). The Biodiversity of Water Mites That Prey on and Parasitize Mosquitoes, Diversity, Online Edition, MDPI. P. 226. https://doi.org/10.3390/d12060226
Barkach, J. H., Miller, C., Selegean, J. P., Bradley, E. A. (2020). Comparison of Watershed Sediment Delivery Estimates of 60 Michigan Rivers Using the USACE Great Lakes Regional Trendline and the Syvitski and Milliman Global BQART Equation. Journal of Hydrology, 582, article:124460. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.124460
Rouholamini, M., Miller, C. J., Wang, C. (2019). Determining consumer's carbon emission obligation through virtual emission tracing in power systems. Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, 39, 1. https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.13279
(Best Paper Award) Bilhan, O., Aydin, M.C., Emiroglu, M.E., Miller, C.J. (2018). Experimental and CFD Analysis of Circular Labyrinth Weirs. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 144, 6, DOI: https://ascelibrary.org/doi/10.1061/%28ASCE%29IR.1943-4774.0001301
Bilhan, O., Emiroglu, M. E., Miller, C. J., Ulas, M. (2018). The evaluation of the effect of nappe breakers on the discharge capacity of trapezoidal labyrinth weirs by ELM and SVR approaches. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 64, 71-82. DOE: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.flowmeasinst.2018.10.009
Xu, L., Miller, C.J., Olson, J. et al. (2018). Huron-to-Erie Water Quality Data Platform. Environmental Processes. 5, 465. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40710-018-0322-7
Sadatiyan, S. M., Miller, C. J. (2017). PEPSO: Reducing Electricity Usage and Associated Pollution Emissions of Water Pumps. Water, 9, 9, 640. http://www.mdpi.com/2073-4441/9/9/640/htm
Alighalehbabakhani, F., Miller, C.J., Baskaran, M., Selegean, J., Barkach, J., Dahl, T., Abkenar, S.M. (2017). Forecasting the remaining reservoir capacity in the Laurentian Great Lakes watershed, Journal of Hydrology, 555, 926-937, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2017.10.052
Zhao, Z., Wang, C., Wang, Y., Miller, C.J. (2017). Temporal and Spatial Load Management for Cost and Emission Reduction, Canadian Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering (CJECE), 40, 2, 83-92. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7999298
Mao, X., Miller, C., Zheng, X., Zhou, L. (2017). Cement Improved Highly Weathered Phyllite for Highway Subgrades: a case study in Shaanxi Province, Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, 4, 4, 403-411. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095756417303094.
Alighalehbabakhani, F., Miller, C.J., Selegean, J.P., Barkach, J., Sadatiyan Abkenar, S. M., Dahl, T., Baskaran, M. (2016). Estimates of sediment trapping rates for two reservoirs in the Lake Erie watershed: Past and present scenarios. Journal of Hydrology, 544, 147–155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2016.11.032
Watson, S., Miller, C.J., Arhonditsis, G., et al. (2016). The re-eutrophication of Lake Erie: Harmful algal blooms and hypoxia. Harmful Algae, 56, 44-66. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2016.04.010
Bilhan, O., Emiroglu, M.E., Miller, C.J. (2016). Experimental Investigation of Discharge Capacity of Labyrinth Weirs with and without Nappe Breakers. World Journal of Mechanics, 6, 207-221. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/wjm.2016.67017
Calappi, T., Miller, C. (2016). Decay of Pressure Fluctuation in the Hyporheic Zone around a Cylinder. World Journal of Mechanics, 6, 159-168. DOI: 10.4236/wjm.2016.64013
Treemore-Spears, L. J., Grove, J. M., Harris, C. K., Lemke, L. D., Miller, C. J., Pothukuchi, K., Zhang, Y., Zhang, Y. L. (2016). A workshop on transitioning cities at the food-energy-water nexus, Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences, 6, 1, 90-103. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13412-016-0381-x
Kumar, A., Hage-Hassan, J., Baskaran, M., Miller, C.J., Selegean, J.P., Creech, C.T. (2016). Multiple sediment cores from reservoirs are needed to reconstruct recent watershed changes from stable isotopes (δ13C and δ15N) and C/N ratios: case studies from the midwestern United States. Journal of Paleolimnology, 56, 15-31, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10933-016-9888-0
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE), Michigan
- Chair, State of Michigan Board of Professional Engineers, 2002-03
Awards and Honors
- UM Chapter, Chi Epsilon, Honorary Member, April 2020
- Board Member – Water Environment Research Foundation, 2015 – present
- National Academy of Sciences Invited Speaker, May 2014
- Guest Editor – Sustainable Computing (Elsevier), Special Issue on Water&Energy, 2014
- Fellow - Engineering Society of Detroit, Inducted as Fellow, June 2012
- Member - Tau Beta Pi - National Engineering Honor Society
- Member - Sigma Xi
- Career Development Chair Award, WSU
• BIO 7310 Urban Sustainability Seminar
• CE 5410: Energy Emission Environment
• Honors 1000: City (1)
• BE 1200: Introduction to Engineering Design
• CEE 3250: Fluid Mechanics
• CEE 4995: Senior Capstone Design (shared among faculty)
• CEE 6130: Engineering Hydraulics (Open Channel Flow)
• CEE 6190: Groundwater Hydraulics
• CEE 6270: Environmental Management and Sustainable Development
• CEE 6580: GeoEnvironmental Engineering and Remediation
• CEE 7190: Advanced Groundwater Hydraulics
• FPH 7420: Water Infrastructure and Public Health (Lectures)
• Directed study at undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels