Srinivasu Kallakuri Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering
818 W Hancock
(313) 577-8333 (fax)
Srinivasu Kallakuri Ph.D.
Blast Induced Traumatic Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Injury
Traumatic Brain Injury and Associated Neurodegenerative Changes
Single and repetitive mild traumatic brain injury
Investigation of Neurometabolic and Blood Flow Changes following TBI
Open field blast induced injury changes in the brain
Open field blast induced injury changes in the optic nerve
Open field blast induced BBB permeability changes
Blast induced changes in the rat spinal dorsal roots
Blast induced inflammatory changes in the rat spinal cord
Blast Related Research:
Kallakuri S, Purkait H, Dalavayi S, VandeVord PJ, Cavanaugh JM. Blast overpressure induced axonal injury changes in rat brainstem and spinal cord. J Neuroscience and Rural Practice 2015 6(4): 481-487. DOI:10.4103/0976-3147.16
Kallakuri S, Desai A, Feng K, Sharvani T, Saif T, Chen CY, Zhang L, Cavanaugh JM and King AI. Neuronal injury and glial changes are the hallmark of open field blast exposure in swine frontal lobe (in review)
Mahmood G, Mei Z, Hojjat H, Pace E, Kallakuri S, Zhang J. Therapeutic effect of sildenafil on blast-induced tinnitus and auditory impairment. Neuroscience. Mar 21. pii: S0306-4522(14)00233-4. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2014.03.020
Blunt Trauma Related Research:
Kallakuri S, Zakaria N, Kou Z, Shen Y, Haacke ME and Cavanaugh JM. Traumatic brain injury by an impact acceleration device induces cerebral blood flow changes ad microhemorrhages. Journal of Clinical Imaging Science5(3): 52-61. DOI: 10.4103/2156-7514.166354, Sep 30th, 2015
Kallakuri S, Li Y, Zhou R, Bandaru S, Zakaria N, Zhang LY, Cavanaugh JM. Impaired axoplasmic transport is the dominant injury induced by an impact acceleration injury device: An analysis of traumatic axonal injury in pyramidal tract and corpus callosum of rats. Brain Research –1452:29-38. Epub 2012 Mar 4, 2012.
Whiplash Injury Research:
Kallakuri S, Li Y, Chen CY, Cavanaugh JM. Innervation of cervical ventral facet joint capsule: histological evidence. World J of Orthopaedics 3(2):10-14, doi: 10.5312/wjo.v3.i2.10; Published online February 18th 2012.
Azar NR, Kallakuri S, Chen CY, Cavanaugh JM. Quasi-static Tensile Stretch of the Caprine C5-C6 Facet Joint Capsule Elicits Cervical Paraspinal Muscle After discharges Stapp Car Crash Journal 55:441-460, 2011.
Kallakuri S, Singh A, Lu Y, Chen CY, Patwardhan A, Cavanaugh JM. Tensile stretching of cervical facet joint capsule and related axonal changes. European Spine Journal DOI10.1007/s00586-007-0562-0, 2007.
Awards and Honors
- Sofamor‑Danek Award for Best Presentation in the Basic Sciences, Annual Meeting of the International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine , Co-Author, 1994
- Sofamor‑Danek Award for Best Poster in the Basic Sciences, Annual Meeting of the International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine, Co-Author, 1996
- Orthopaedic Research Society, New Investigator Recognition Award for Neurophysiologic studies of cervical facet joint capsule – experimental setup and characterization of sensory receptors, Co-Author, 2004
- John Paul Stapp Best Paper Award: Neural Response of Cervical Facet Joint Capsule to Stretch: A Study of Whiplash Pain Mechanism, Co-Author, 2005
- John Paul Stapp Best Student Paper Award: A new model of traumatic axonal injury to determine the effects of strain and displacement rates, Co-Author, 2007
- John Paul Stapp Best Student Paper Award: Injury predictors for traumatic axonal injury in rodent head impact acceleration model, 3rd Author, 2011
- Magna Cum Laude Merit Award for the 20th Annual ISMRM meeting for the abstract entitled “Increased FA in acute TBI rat Marmarou model followed by decreased FA during subacute stage: A TBSS study. Co-author, May 2012.