Our faculty members have strong research backgrounds, and specialized, practical experience in the areas they teach and research. The department’s research faculty is complemented by part-time faculty who bring in-depth industrial experience into the classroom. This combination of cutting-edge research with real-world knowledge provides for excellent master's and doctoral degree programs that are connected to the real-world.
- Five degree programs: BSIE, MSIE, MS MfgE, MSEM and Ph.D.
- Two graduate certificate programs: Systems Engineering and Engineering Management.
- Engineering Management Masters Program, which has achieved national recognition, emphasizes team projects and provides the corporate sponsor with immediate return on educational investment dollars.
- Established the first Global Executive Track Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering for managers and executives. Download the GET brochure.
- $7 million state-of-the-art engineering building for use by the students and faculty of the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, features computerized classrooms, teleconference facilities, and computer-based laboratories for simulation and manufacturing processes.
- Cutting-edge research with real-world knowledge provides for excellent master's and doctoral degree programs that are connected to the real-world.
- Faculty’s research encompasses all facets of product development, advanced manufacturing, quality engineering, supply chain management, logistics, health care systems engineering, ergonomics for design, risk and decision analysis, diffusion of innovation and much more
- Our average research funding per professor ranks among the highest in the college, and provides a testament to the value our professors and students bring in tackling tough, research and real-world problems at organizations such as Arvin Meritor, Crittenton Hospital Medical Center, DTEnergy, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Chrysler, General Dynamics, the US Department of Veteran Affairs and Henry Ford Health Systems
- Our faculty routinely receive research grants from such federal agencies as the NSF, DoT, DHS, DoE, VHA, Army, Navy, NIDDR, and TARDEC.
- 11 full-time faculty– nationally recognized experts in a broad range of research areas.
- From emergency services to Six-Sigma and other quality principles to computer-integrated design and manufacturing our faculty have published award-winning textbooks and received major awards as recognition of their contributions to the profession
- The Big Data & Business Analytics Group at Wayne State University is an initiative of the College of Engineering with a charter to assist enterprises in their Big Data adoption & Big Data value extraction challenges. The vision of the group is to be a premier center of innovation in Big Data Science and Business Analytics with a strong focus on solving real-life business problems in active collaboration with regional industry while leveraging core strengths and research interests of our team.
- Recent Grants and Awards
Few recent student awards and recognitions
- Alumnus Farshid Azadian, PhD ISE '12, was presented with the 2013 Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) Transportation Sciences and Logistics Society's Best Dissertation Prize for the Aviation Applications Section at the INFORMS annual meeting, held October 6-9 in Minneapolis.
- Mahyar Nejad received 2014 INFORMS ENRE Best Student Paper Award for "Optimal Routing for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles."
- Mahyar Nejad received 2014 POMS College of Sustainable Operations Best Student Paper Runner Up Award for "Optimal Routing for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles."
Sample listing of recent / current federal research grant awards
- NSF Grant ($89,945) - Collaborative Research: Constructionism in Learning: Sustainable Life Cycle Engineering (CooL:SLiCE). Award Number: 1431481. Program Manager: John Krupczak, Division of Undergraduate Education, Directorate for Education & Human Resources. Start Date: September 1, 2014; Expires: August 31, 2017. Investigator(s): Kyoung-Yun Kim (Principal) and Carolyn Psenka (Co-PI).
- NSF Grant ($120,000) - I/UCRC: Center for e-Design: IT Enabled Design and Realization of Products and Systems. Award Number: 1338780. Program Manager: Shashank Priya, Division of Industrial Innovation and Partnerships, Directorate for Engineering. Start Date: August 1, 2013; Expires: July 31, 2018. Investigator(s): Kyoung-Yun Kim (Principal Investigator).
- NSF Grant ($12,999) - Planning Grant: I/UCRC for Excellence in Logistics and Distribution. Award Number: 1338928. Program Manager: Raffaella Montelli, Division of Industrial Innovation and Partnerships, Directorate for Engineering. Start Date: August 1, 2013; Expires: July 31, 2015. Investigator(s): Alper Murat (Principal Investigator) and Ratna Babu Chinnam (Co-PI)
- NSF Grant ($99,990) - Pan-American Advanced Studies Institute on Manufacturing Innovation through Sustainable Design; Barranquilla, Colombia, July 2013. Award Number: 1242268. Program Manager: Jessica H. Robin, Office of International and Integrative Activities, Office of the Director. Start Date: January 1, 2013; Expires: December 31, 2014. Investigator(s): Ratna Babu Chinnam (Principal Investigator); Karl Haapala (Co-PI); Ivan Esparragoza (Co-PI); Kathy Jackson (Co-PI); and Gul Kremer (Former Co-PI).
- NSF Grant ($350,000) - GOALI: Failure Prediction and Reliability Analysis of Ultra-High Strength Steel Autobody Manufacturing Systems by Utilizing Material Microstructure Properties. Award Number: 1404276. Program Manager: Diwakar Gupta, Division of Civil, Mechanical, and Manufacturing Inn., Directorate for Engineering. Start Date: June 15, 2014; Expires: May 31, 2017. Investigator(s): Qingyu Yang (Principal Investigator); Dajun Zhou (Co-PI); and Xin Wu (Co-PI).
- NSF Grant ($220,009) - Collaborative Research: An Allocation Model with Dynamic Updates for Balanced Workload Distribution on Patient Centered Medical Homes. Award Number: 1233504. Program Manager: Diwakar Gupta, Division of Civil, Mechanical, and Manufacturing Inn., Directorate For Engineering. Start Date: September 1, 2012; Expires: August 31, 2015. Investigator(s): Kai Yang (Principal Investigator).