Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering & Director, Healthcare Systems Engineering Group
4815 Fourth Street, Detroit, MI 48201
Manufacturing Engineering Building
Ph.D. in Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan, 1990
M. S. in Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan, 1985
B. S. in Electrical Engineering, China Petroleum University, 1982
IE 4250 Engineering Data Analysis
IE 6210 Probability and Statistics
IE 6270 Engineering Experimental Design
IE 7250 Quality Engineering
IE 8200 Advanced Quality and Reliability
IE 7610 Fundamentals of Six Sigma
IE 8942: Idea through Launch: Products and Services
IE 6005 Automotive Engineering Statistics
Healthcare Systems Engineering
- Healthcare Data Analytics
- Healthcare Operation Workflow Management
- Surgery Operation Modeling and optimization
- Healthcare Access and Continuity
- Reusable Medical Supply Management
- Readmission reduction
- Healthcare Coordination
- Applied Multivariate Statistical Methods
- Design of Experiments
- Process Control
Engineering Design and Design Methodologies
- Innovative Design Theory
- Lean Product Development/Lean Knowledge Management
- Robust Design
- Multistate Reliability
- Warranty Analysis and Prediction
- Nondestructive Evaluation
Director: Healthcare System Engineering Group
Chair: Edward Medal Award Committee, American Society of Quality, 2006-2007
Member: Deming Medal Award Committee, American Society of Quality, 2008-
Associate Editor: IIE Transactions
Associate Editor: International Journal of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage,
Organizing Committee Member, Cluster Chair for Invited Sessions on Healthcare Data Analytics, INFORMS Healthcare Conference 2013, Chicago
Editorial Board Member: International Journal of Quality Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Experimental Design and Process Optimization
Senior Member of the Institute of Industrial Engineers
Member of American Statistical Association
Member of ASQ
Member of IEEE reliability society
Member of INFORMS
Other Professional Experience
Design for Six Sigma
Lean Product Development
Design of Experiments
Quality Methods/Statistical Methods
Theory of Inventive Problem Solving (TRIZ)
Multivariate Statistical Methods
1. 1996-1997: Provided consulting and training for USCAR Low Emission Paint Consortium, the training includes Taguchi Method, DOE, FMEA, Response Surface method. Dr Yang designed several key experiments in order to achieve high transfer efficiency, paint film uniformity and good appearance, the experiments achieved good results.
2. 1998-2006, Consulting for DaimlerChrysler Corperation, Dr Yang consulted many projects, including spray paint process defect reduction, paint film quality control, body and assembly variation reduction, design evaluation methods for engineering hour reduction.
3. 2004, consulted for DFSS training material development for Abbott laboratories, in Dallas, Texas.
4. 2004, Provided DFSS training for Lugong Inc ( A Chinese heavy machinery company)
5. 2004, Provided DFSS training for York International Inc.
6. 2005, Provided DFSS, FMEA training for Delta Electronics.
7. 2005, Provided DOE, Taguchi Method training for Bosch/Siemens home electronics
8. 2005, Provided TRIZ training for ZTE Inc.
9. 2005, Provided DOE, Taguchi method Training for Shanghai General Motors Corp.
10. 2005, Provided DFSS Champion training for Siemens, in Oralando, FL
11. 2005, Provided DFSS Training, including TRIZ, Axiomatic design, DOE, Taguchi method, response Surface method, tolerance design for Siemens Power Generation.
12. 2006, Provided 6 training sessions for Siemens Power Generation in both Muelheim, Germany and Orlando, FL, including TRIZ, Axiomatic design, DOE, Taguchi method, response Surface method, and tolerance design. Provided help in Siemens DFSS projects, as an overall DFSS initiative, Siemens successfully launched 25 DFSS projects, many of them are closed successfully.
13. 2006, Provided DFSS champion, DOE, RSM and robust design training for Nissan, China.
14. 2006, Consulting for VA Hospital of Detroit, Michigan, one two lean six sigma projects, one is streamlining fee payment process, the other is streamlining admission process.
15. 2006, Consulting for Karmanos Cancer Institute in medical research process benchmarking , management and improvement.
16. 2006, Providing DFSS executive training for Emerson Power Network, Columbus, Ohio.
17. 2007, Providing TRIZ Training for ASQ, Grand Rapids, MI
18. 2007, Providing DOE training for BASF, Wyandot, MI
19. 2007, Proving Quality Method Training for BASF, Ledgewood, NJ
20. 2007, Proving VOC training for Avery Dennison, Shanghai
21. 2007, Proving DFSS Training for Emerson, Suzhou, China
22. 2007, Proving TRIZ Training for Metrologic
23. 2007, Providing TRIZ, Lean PD Training for WeidMuller
24. 2008, Providing QFD training for TRW
25. 2008, Providing DOE training for Apple Computer Inc. Shanghai, Shenzhen
26. 2009, Providing DOE training for Apple Computer, Inc., Cupertino, CA
27. 2009, Providing Lean Six Sigma in Healthcare training for John D. Dingell VA Medical Center, Detroit, MI
28. 20010, Providing LAMDA/A3 and Lean Product Development training for Kulicke and Soffa, Shainghai, China