Professor and Chair, Industrial and Systems Engineering
Leslie Monplaisir, Professor of Industrial and Systems Engineering, is Chair of the Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering at Wayne State University (WSU)
He is a Lead Researcher and Director of the Product Development and Systems Engineering Consortium (PDSEC) at WSU. His research interests include: Lean Product Development, Design for lean Systems and Services and Design reuse, Collaborative PD Decision Making, Product Architecture Optimization, Design for Supply Chain, Global Product Platform Optimization and Healthcare Technology System Design He has authored over 100 publications in these areas with funded research from NSF, Ford, GM, Sun Microsystems, Tardec, VA and PTC.
Monplaisir joined the College of Engineering at Wayne State University in the Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering in 1996 from Florida A & M University where he was a visiting assistant professor. He earned his PhD in Engineering Management from the Missouri University of Science and Technology (MUST), a masters in Computer Integrated Manufacturing from the University of Birmingham in Great Britain, and bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from the University of the West Indies in Trinidad.
Ph.D.- 1995 (Engineering Management) University of Missouri-Rolla
M.S. - 1991 (Computer Integrated Manufacturing) University of Birmingham; England
B.S. - 1987 (Engineering) The University of the West Indies; St. Augustine, Trinidad
- Product Design Analytics
- Product Plaform and Architecture Optimization
- Collaborative Product Design and Development (CPDD)
- Integrated Manufacturing and Design of Agile Manufacturing Systems
- Application of computational intelligence tools to support concurrency in product realization.
- Monplaisir, L.F. with Benjamin, C.O. (1997) Innovative Applications of Groupware for Solving Engineering Design Problems, Engineering Management Journal, Vol. 9, pp 11-16.
- Monplaisir, L.F., (1997) A Neural Network for Multi-Criteria Aggregation of Preferences: The Case of Designing Manufacturing Systems, in HEURISTICS, The Journal of Intelligent Technologies, Vol.10, No. 1, pp 32 - 37
- Monplaisir, L.F. with R. Jugulum and M. Mian, (1999) Application of TRIZ and Taguchi Methods: Two Case Examples, Triz Journal (online at triz-journal.com), 10 pages.
- Monplaisir, L.F., Benjamin, C.O. and Riordan, C.A. (1999) "Comparison of Intelligent CSCW Architectures for the Evaluation of Agile Manufacturing Systems Designs", Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing Journal, Vol. 9, No. 2, 137- 150.
- Monplaisir, L.F., (1999) An Integrated CSCW Architecture for Integrated Product/Process Design and Development, Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing Journal, Vol.15, pp145-153.
- C. Riordan and Monplaisir, L.F., (2001) The Impact of Neural Network Enhancements on CSCW Systems in an Engineering Design Application, Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, Vol. 5, No.4 pp 40-64.
- Jugulum R. and Monplaisir, L.F. and.(2001) "Comparison Between Mahalonbis-Taguchi System and Artificial Neural Networks. Journal of Quality Engineering Society. Vol. 10 (1), pp 60-83.
- Monplaisir, L.F. and S. Salhieh. (2002) A Flexible Planning Methodology to Support Global Product Development using CSCW Tools Global Journal of Flexible Systems Management. Vol 2 (4), pp 1-13.
- Monplaisir, L.F.,(2002) "Enhancing CSCW with Advanced Decision Making Tools for an Agile Manufacturing System Design Application" Group Decision and Negotiation Journal. Vol. 11 pp 45-63.
- Ojah, K and L. Monplaisir (2003) Investors' valuation of global product design and development, Volume 34, Number 5, Pages 457-472.
- Monplaisir, L.F., with S. Salhieh.(2003) "A Collaborative Planning Framework for Distributed Product Design and Development" Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Volume 14 (6), pp. 581-597(17)
- Prasad, B., and L. Monplaisir (2005) Integrated Fuzzy Logic Based Model for Product Modularization During the Concept Development Phase. International Journal of production Economics 96, pp 157-174.
- Nepal, B. P., and Monplaisir, L. 2006. A methodology for integrating design for quality in modular product design, Journal of Engineering Design, Volume 17, No. 5, October 2006, 387409
- Musonera, E, Yaprak, A. and Monplaisir, L. 2007. Modeling FDI Attraction: An Optimization Application, Journal of Midwest International Business Research, Vol. XX March, 127-135.
- Musonera, E., Ojah, K., and Monplaisir, L., (2007), Are Country Risk Factors Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) into the East African Community? Southwest Review of International Business Research, Vol. 18, 175-189
- Nepal, B. P., Monplaisir, L., (2007). A Framework to Integrate Desihgn for Reliability and Maintainability in Modular Product Design International Journal of Product Development, Volume 4, Number 5, 459 484.
- Nepal, B. P., Monplaisir, L., Singh, N., Yaprak, A., 2008. Product modularization considering costs and manufacturability of modules, International Journal of Industrial Engineering. Vol.15 (2), 132-142.
- Nepal, B. P., Yadav, O.P, Monplaisir, L., Murat, A, 2008. A framework for capturing and analyzing the failures due to system/component interactions, Quality and Reliability Engineering International, Vol. 24, 265-289.
- Famuyiwa, F., Monplaisir, L., Nepal, B., 2008. Integrated fuzzy logic based framework for partners compatibility rating in OEM-Suppliers strategic alliance formation, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 113, 862-875.
- Monplaisir, L. and K. Ojah, (2009). Strategic Competition, Valuation, Costs and Growth Potential: The Example of Global Product Design and Development. Multinational Business Review. Volume 17, 1, 47-69.
- Musonera, E, Yaprak, A. and Monplaisir, L. (2009) An Optimization modeling approach to FDI attraction, Journal of International Business Research and Practice, Vol3, 16-27.
- Benjamin Colin O., Leslie Monplaisir, Clement K. Sankat and Denise Thompson. (2009) Industrial Engineering Education and Research: Current Issues and Future Directions for the Caribbean Journal of the Association of Professional Engineers (ISSN 1000 7924), Volume 37 Number 1, pp.5-17.
- Mc Nicol, J, Leslie Monplaisir and Babu Chinnam. (2009) A Framework for Developing a CSCW Environment to Improve Concept-Based Decision Making. Int. J. Collaborative Enterprise, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp 39-52.
- Aguwa, C and Monplaisir, L. (2010) Integrated Fuzzy-Based Modular Architecture for Medical Device Design and Development. Journal of Medical Devices. ASME Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 4, Iss. 3., September 2010.
- Nepal, B., Famuyiwa, F., Monplaisir, (2011) L. A multi-objective supply chain configuration model for new products, International Journal of Production Research, Volume 49, Issue 23, 2011
- Wang, G., Nepal, B. P., Monplaisir, L., Ponsock, S. (2011) Integrated Framework for Component Variety Management: A Case Study, Int. J. Services and Operations Management, Vol. 10, No. 1, 2011.
- Awad, M and L. Monplaisir (2011), Selection of free zone industrial plants proposals using analytic network process (ANP), Int. J. Applied Decision Sciences, Vol. 4, No. 2, 2011.
- Monplaisir,L. Nepal, B., and Famuyiwa, O.(2011) A Multi-Objective Supply Chain Configuration Model for Modular Product Design. To appear in Journal of the APETT (Volume 40 Number 1)
- Nepal, B., Famuyiwa, F., Monplaisir, (2011) Matching Product Architecture with Supply Chain Design EJOR Volume 216, Issue 2, 16 January 2012, Pages 312325
- Monplaisir, L and Aguwa, C. (2012) Rules Modification on a Fuzzy-Based Modular Architecture for Medical Device Design and Development, IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering 2, 59-51.
- Aguwa C., Leslie Monplaisir and Ozgu Turgut, (2012) Voice of the Customer: Customer Satisfaction Ratio Based Analysis, Expert Systems with Applications 39 (11), 10112-10119.
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Faculty Award; College of Engineering, Wayne State University (April 2000)
- Excellence in Teaching Award; College of Engineering, Wayne State University (October 2000)
- Outstanding Faculty Award; College of Engineering, Wayne State University (April 2001)
- Best Professor Award, Engineering Management Masters Program (EMMP) Class of 2001
- Tau Beta Pi, Michigan Epsilon Chapter (October 2002)
- Best Engineering Student; University of the West Indies; (1986 and 1987)
- Alpha Iota Delta - Decision Sciences Honorary Society