Associate Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- University of Michigan, 2000 (PhD)
- University of Michigan, 1996 (MSE)
- University of Michigan, 1995 (MArch)
- University of Wisconsin, 1993 (BS)
CE 4400 Structural Analysis
CE 4410 Steel Design
CE 5370 Finite Element Analysis
CE 7070 Risk and Reliability
Undergraduate: Mechanics of Materials; Reinforced Concrete Design; Timber Structures
Graduate: Advanced Reinforced Concrete Structures; Prestressed Concrete; Structural Dynamics; Advanced Theory of Structures; Nonlinear and Dynamic Finite Element Analysis
- Structural Reliability Analysis
- Reliability Based Design Optimization
- Probabilisitc Design
- Computational Methods
Research Grants (since 2011)
- Development of Guidelines for Intermediate Diaphragms on PC Beam Superstructures, Michigan Department of Transportation, $189,000 (PI), 2019 –2021.
- Evaluation of Camber and Deflection of Bridge Girders, Michigan Department of Transportation, $301,000 (co-PI), 2019 – 2021.
- Structural Reliability Analysis of Cut River Bridge, Michigan Department of Transportation, $42,000 (PI), 2018.
- Developing Representative Michigan Truck Configurations for Bridge Load Rating, Michigan Department of Transportation, $179,000 (Sole PI), 2016 - 2018.
- Evaluation of Cost/Benefits of Standardization of Secondary Route Bridges, Michigan Department of Transportation, $236,000 (PI), 2016 –2018.
- Accurate and Efficient Reliability Analysis of Complex Structural Engineering Problems, National Science Foundation, $250,000 (Sole PI), 2011 –2015.
- Design and Construction Guidelines for Strengthening Bridges Using FRP, Michigan Department of Transportation, $164,000 (PI), 2012 - 2014.
- Side-By-Side Probability for Bridge Design and Analysis, Michigan Department of Transportation, $102,000 (PI), 2012 –2014.
- Evaluation of Prestressed Concrete Beams in Shear, Michigan Department of Transportation, $278,000 (PI), 2011 –2014.
(1) Siavashi, S., and Eamon, C. “Development of Traffic Live Load Models for Bridge Superstructure Rating with RBDO and Best Selection Approach.” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering (accepted 2019).
(2) Chehab, A., and Eamon, C. “Reliability-Based Shear Rating of Prestressed Concrete Bridge Girders Considering Capacity Adjustment Factor.” ASCE Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Vol. 5, No. 2, 2019.
(3) Siavashi, S., Eamon, C., Makkawy, A., and Wu, H.C. “Long-term Durability of FRP Bond in the Midwest United States for Externally-Strengthened Bridge Components.” ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, 2018.
(4) Kamjoo, V. and Eamon, C. “Reliability-Based Design Optimization of a Vehicular Live Load Model.” Engineering Structures 168, 799-808, 2018.
(5) Chehab, A., Eamon, C., Parra-Montesinos, G., and Dam, T. “Shear Testing and Modeling of AASHTO Type II Prestressed Concrete Bridge Girders.” ACI Structural Journal. Vol. 115, No. 3, pp. 801-811, 2018.
(6) Chehab, A., and Eamon, C. “Regression-Based Adjustment Factor to Better Estimate Shear Capacity for Load Rating Simple Span PC Girders.” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering. Vo. 23, No. 5, 2018.
(7) Eamon, C., Lamb, A., and Patki, K. “Effect of Moment Gradient and Load Height With Respect to Centroid on the Reliability of Wide Flange Steel Beams Subject to Elastic Lateral Torsional Buckling.” Engineering Structures 150, 656-664, 2017.
(8) Chehab, A., Eamon, C., and Griffin, J. “Collapse Resistance of RC Moment-Resistant Frame and Shear Wall Structural Systems Exposed to Blast.” ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 2016.
(9) Patki, K. and Eamon, C. “Evaluation of Alternative Implementation Methods of Failure Sampling Approach for Structural Reliability Analysis.” ASCE Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Part A: Civil Engineering, 2016.
(10) Eamon, C., Kamjoo, V., and Shinki, K. “Design Live Load Factor Calibration for Michigan Highway Bridges.” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 6, 2016.
(11) Eamon, C., Chehab, A., and Parra-Montesinos, G. “Field Tests of Two Prestressed Concrete Girder Bridges for Live Load Distribution and Moment Continuity.” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 5, 2016.
(12) Lamb, A. and Eamon, C. "Load Height and Moment Factors for Doubly Symmetric Wide Flange Beams." ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 141, No. 12, 2015.
(13) Behnam, B. and Eamon, C. “Analysis of Alternative Ductile FRP Reinforcing Bar Concepts.” Journal of Composite Materials, No. 6, Vol. 48, pp. 723-733, 2014.
(14) Eamon, C. and Jensen, E. “Reliability Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Columns Exposed to Fire.” Fire Safety Journal, Vol. 62, Part C, pp. 221-229, 2013.
(15) Wang, W. and Eamon, C. “Load Path Uncertainty in a Wood Structure and the Effect on Structural Reliability.” Engineering Structures, Vol. 56, pp. 889-896, 2013.
(16) Behnam, B. and Eamon, C. “Reliability-Based Design Optimization of Concrete Flexural Members Reinforced with Ductile FRP Bars.” Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 47, pp. 942-950, 2013.
(17) Behnam, B. and Eamon, C. “Resistance Factors for Ductile FRP-Reinforced Concrete Flexural Members.” ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, No. 4, Vol. 17, pp. 566-573, 2013.
(18) Eamon, C., and Jensen, E. “Reliability Analysis of RC Beams Exposed to Fire.” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, No. 2, Vol. 139, pp. 212-220, 2013.
(19) Eamon, C., Jensen, E., Grace, N., and Shi, X. “Life Cycle Cost Analysis of Alternative Reinforcement Materials for Bridge Superstructures Considering Cost and Maintenance Uncertainties.” ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, No. 4, Vol. 24, pp. 373-380, 2012.
(20) Eamon, C., and Jensen, E. “Reliability Analysis of Prestressed Concrete Beams Exposed to Fire.” Engineering Structures, Vol. 43, 2012, pp. 69-77.
(21) Grace, N., Jensen, E., Eamon, C., and Shi, X. “Life Cycle Cost Analysis of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Reinforced Concrete Bridges,” ACI Structural Journal, No. 5, Vol. 109, pp. 697-704, 2012.
(22) Eamon, C. and Charumas, B. “Reliability Estimation of Complex Numerical Problems using Modified Conditional Expectation Method,” Computers and Structures, No. 89, pp. 181-188, 2011.
(23) Rocha, D., Eamon, C, and Murphy, J. “Reliability Analysis of Roof Sheathing Panels Exposed to a Hurricane Wind”, Structural Safety, No. 33, pp. 74-81, 2011.
(24) Rais-Rohani, M, Solanki, K, Acar, E., and Eamon, C. “Shape and Sizing Optimization of Automotive Structures with Deterministic and Probabilistic Design Constraints,” International Journal of Vehicle Design, Vol. 54, No. 4, pp. 309-338, 2010.
(25) Roth, M., Eamon, C., Slawson, T., Tonyan, T., and Ashish, D. “Ultra-High-Strength, Glass-Fiber-Reinforced Concrete: Mechanical Behavior and Numerical Modeling,” ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 107, No. 2, pp.185-194, 2010.
(26) Acar, E., Rais-Rohani, M., and Eamon, C. “Reliability Estimation Using Univariate Dimension Reduction and Extended Generalized Lambda Distribution.” International Journal of Reliability and Safety, Vol. 4, No. 2/3, pp. 166-187, 2010.
(27) Eamon, C, and Rais-Rohani, M. “Integrated Reliability and Sizing Optimization of a Large Composite Structure.” Marine Structures, Vol 22, No. 2, pp 315-334, 2009.
(28) Nowak, A.S., and Eamon, C. “Reliability Analysis of Plank Decks”, ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol 13, No. 5, pp 540-546, 2008.
(29) Eamon, C. and Rais-Rohani, M. “Structural Reliability Analysis of Composite Advanced Sail for Virginia Class Submarine,” SNAME Journal of Ship Research, Vol. 52, No. 3, pp 165-174, 2008.
(30) Eamon, C. “Reliability of Concrete Masonry Unit Walls Subjected to Explosive Loads,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 133, No. 7, pp. 935-944, 2007.
(31) Eamon, C., Fitzpatrick, P., and Truax, D. “Observations of Structural Damage Caused by Hurricane Katrina Along the Mississippi Gulf Coast”, ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, No. 21, pp. 117-127, 2007.
(32) Thompson, M., Eamon, C., and Rais-Rohani, M. “Reliability-Based Optimization of Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Composite Bridge Deck Panels,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol 132, No. 12, pp. 1898-1906, 2006.
(33) Eamon, C., Thompson, M., and Liu, Z. “Evaluation of Accuracy and Efficiency of some Simulation and Sampling Methods in Structural Reliability Analysis,” Structural Safety, Vol. 27/4, pp. 356-392, 2005.
(34) Rais-Rohani, M, Eamon, C, and Keesecker, A. “Structural Analysis and Sizing Optimization of a Composite Advanced Sail Design Concept,” SNAME Journal of Marine Technology, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp 61-70, 2005.
(35) Nowak, A.S., and Eamon, C. “Load and Resistance Calibration for Wood Bridges,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp 636-642, 2005.
(36) Eamon, C., and Nowak, A.S., “Effect of Edge-Stiffening and Diaphragms on the Reliability of Bridge Girders,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp 206-214, 2005.
(37) Eamon, C., Baylot, J.T, O’Daniel, J.L. “Modeling Concrete Masonry Walls Subjected to Explosive Loads,” ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 130, No. 9, pp 1098-1106, 2004.
(38) Eamon, C., and Nowak, A.S., “Effect of Secondary Elements on Bridge Structural System Reliability Considering Moment Capacity,” Structural Safety, Vol. 26, No. 1, pg. 29-47, 2004.
(39) Eamon, C., and Nowak, A.S., “Effects of Edge-Stiffening Elements and Diaphragms on Bridge Resistance and Load Distribution,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 258-266, 2002.
(40) Eamon, C., Ritter, M., Nowak, A.S., Murphy, T. “Reliability-based Criteria for Load and Resistance Factor Design Code for Wood Bridges,” Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 1696 Vol. 1 pp. 316-322, 2000.
Books and Chapters
Wu, H.C. and Eamon, C. Strengthening of Concrete Structures Using Fiber Reinforced Polymers (FRP). ISBN 978-0-081006-36-8. Maryland Heights (MO): Elsevier Inc. (2017).
Eamon, C. Structural and Reliability Modeling of Masonry Walls Subjected to Blast Loads. Chapter in Bull, J.W. Computer Analysis and Design of Masonry Structures (pp. 311-339). ISBN 978-1-874672-44-9. Stirling, Scotland: Saxe-Coburg Publications (2017).
Acar, E., Rais-Rohani, M., and Eamon, C. Reliability Estimation Using Univariate Dimension Reduction and Extended Generalized Lambda Distribution. Chapter in Karian, Z. and Dudewicz, E. Handbook of Fitting Statistical Distributions with R (pp. 1281-1304), ISBN 978-1-58488-711-9. New York: CRC Press (2011).
Professional Engineer (15751), MS, 2003-2009
Professional Engineer (6201055837), MI, 2008-present