Associate Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering
Associate Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering
Dr. Jeremy L. Rickli received his B.S. and M.S. Degrees in Mechanical Engineering from Michigan Technological University in 2006 and 2008 and received his Ph.D. in Industrial and Systems Engineering from Virginia Tech prior to joining Wayne State in 2013. At Wayne State, he has created the Manufacturing and Remanufacturing Systems Laboratory (MaRSLab). MaRSLab targets fundamental and applied research in manufacturing, remanufacturing, and disassembly processes and systems while encouraging considerations for sustainability and life-cycle thinking in design, manufacturing, use, and recovery. Research thrusts include: Uncertainty Management in Remanufacturing and Disassembly; Leveraging Data to Innovate Decision Making in the Digital Manufacturing Enterprise; Collaborative Robotic Automation in Advanced Manufacturing and Assembly Systems. Within these thrusts, MaRSLab is investigating: disassembly automation for enhanced component and material recovery; integrating disassembly and remanufacturing decisions into design phases; the interaction between manufacturing operators and collaborative robots; learning programs for the application of collaborative robots in manufacturing; the potential for point cloud measurement data to transform manufacturing quality monitoring and remanufacturing core condition assessment; managing core acquisition in remanufacturing and value recovery considering uncertain core quality, quantity, and timing; and data analytics approaches to innovating Resistance Spot Welding feasibility certification. Dr. Rickli has collaborated with industrial partners on projects involving residual stresses in Resistance Spot Welding data analytics, lightweight aluminum alloy side rails, manufacturing process simulation, and enhancing end-of-life truck acquisition decisions. Dr. Rickli is also actively involved in outreach activities with Athletes for Charity STEM Youth Literacy Program and the WSU STEM Day, which provides Detroit Public Schools and other local K-12 students with STEM experiences.
Dr. Rickli is also the director of the NSF REU Site: Summer Academy in Sustainable Manufacturing (NSF #1461031). This site strives to expose undergraduate students to the forefront of sustainable manufacturing research; develop a sustainable manufacturing community of students, faculty, and industry partners; and encourage students to pursue future sustainable manufacturing research activities. More information on the REU Site and applying for the site can be found at:https://advancedmaterials.wayne.edu/summer-academy.
- IE4330 Facilities Design: Industrial and Systems Eng. Dept., Wayne State University.
- IE6435 Fundamentals of Sustainable Manufacturing: Industrial and Systems Eng. Dept., Wayne State University,.
- IE6850 Manufacturing Strategy: Industrial and Systems Eng. Dept., Wayne State University.
- IE6315 Production Systems: Industrial and Systems Eng. Dept., Wayne State University.
- Enhancing Disassembly Planning Decisions and Operations
- Remanufacturing Systems Modelling and Analysis & Sustainable Manufacturing
- Leveraging Data to Innovate Decision Making in the Digital Manufacturing Enterprise
- Point Cloud Quality Monitoring and Inspection Systems in Manufacturing
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program: “REU Site: Summer Academy in Sustainable Manufacturing,” Awarded, Nov. 1st 2015 (PI with Dr. Y. Huang (Co-PI) ), $370,642, 2015-2018.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Advance Technology Education (ATE): “Learning Program for CoBots in Advanced Manufacturing Systems,” Awarded Sept. 15th 2016 (Co-PI, with Dr. A. Djuric (Co-PI) and lead Oakland Community College – Dr. D. Bayer (PI) and Dr. J. Sefcovic (Co-PI)), $298,929, 2016-2019.
- DMDII: VRWP: Virtually Guided RSW Weldability Prediction (Co-PI with Dr. K-Y Kim (PI) from WSU ISE, Dr. X. Wu (Co-PI) from WSU ME, Dr. S. Lu (Co-PI) from WSU Computer Science, and Dr. Q. Yang (Co-PI) from WSU ISE in collaboration with Ford Motor Company, Total: $1,730,221, 2016-2017.
- Critical Materials Institute (DOE via Oak Ridge National Lab), "Recovering Critical Materials (Magnets from Salvaged Automobiles," (Co-PI, with Oak Ridge National Lab as Lead - T. J. McIntyre), $35,000 year one ($315K total over four years), 2018-2019.
- Michigan Translational Research and Commercialization (MTRAC) Innovation Hub for Advanced Transportation - Kickstart program: "VRWP: Virtual RSW Weldability Prediction," Awarded July 2018 (Co-PI, with Dr. K-Y Kim (PI)), Total $40,022.84, 2018-2019.
- Gavidel, S.Z. and Rickli J.L., 2017, “Quality Assessment of Used-Products under Uncertain Age and Usage Conditions,” International Journal of Production Research. Vol. 55(23, pp. 7153-7167.
- Deshmukh, K., Rickli, J.L., and Djuric, A., 2016, “Kinematic Modeling of an Automated Laser Line Point Cloud Scanning System,” Procedia Manufacturing, Vol. 5, pp: 1075-1091.
- Djuric, A., Urbanic, R., and Rickli, J. L., 2016, “A Framework for Collaborative Robot (CoBoT) Integration in Advanced Manufacturing Systems,” SAE In. J. Mater. Manf. Vol. 9(2), pp: 457-564.
- Gavidel, S.Z. and Rickli, J.L., 2015, “Triage as a Core Sorting Strategy in Extreme Core Arrival Scenarios,” Journal of Remanufacturing, Vol. 5(1), pp: 1-13.
- Rickli, J.L., Dinda, G.P., and Dasgupta, A., 2014, “A Descriptive Framework for Additive Remanufacturing Systems,” International Journal of Rapid Manufacturing, Vol. 4(2), pp: 199-218.
- Rickli, J.L., Camelio, J.A., 2014, “Partial Disassembly Sequencing for Acquired End-of-Life Product Age Distributions,” International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 52(24), pp: 7496-7512.
- Haapala, K.R., Zhao, F., Camelio, J.A., Sutherland, J.W., Skerlos, S.J., Dornfeld, D.A., Jawahir, I.S., Clarens, A.F., Rickli, J.L., 2013, “A Review of Engineering Research in Sustainable Manufacturing,” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 135(4), 041013.
- Rickli, J.L., Camelio, J.A., 2013, “Multi-Objective Partial Disassembly Optimization Based on Sequence Feasibility,” SME Journal of Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 32(1), pp: 281-293
- Rickli, J.L., Crawford, C., Aich, S., Camelio, J.A., 2012, “Damage Diagnosis and Fixture Classification Using Impedance-Based Sensors,” SME Journal of Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 31(4), pp: 388-394.
- Rickli, J.L., Dreyer, J.T., Camelio, J.A., Pandit, S.M., 2011, “Fault Detection and Prognosis of Assembly Locating Systems using Piezoelectric Transducers,” International Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Vol. 22(6), pp: 909-918.
- Smith, T., Rickli, J.L., Fleming, S., and Camelio, J.A., 2010, “Residual Stress Analysis of Punched Holes in 6013-T4 Aluminum Commercial Vehicle Side Rails,” SAE International Journal of Commercial Vehicles, Vol. 3(1), pp: 32-41.
- Rickli, J.L., and Camelio, J.A., 2009, “Damage Detection in Assembly Fixtures using Non-Destructive Electromechanical Impedance Sensors and Multivariate Statistics,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing, Vol. 42(9-10), pp: 1005-1015.
- Dreyer, J.T., Pandit, S.M., Rickli, J.L., Camelio, J.A., Loukus, J.E., 2008, “Autoregressive-based Workpiece Defect Detection Metric Using Piezoelectric-Instrumented Fixtures for Machining of Metal Matrix Composites,” Transactions of North American Manufacturing Research Conference XXXVI, Monterrey, Mexico.
- Rickli, J.L. and Huang, Y., 2017, “REU Site: Summer Academy in Sustainable Manufacturing – Year One,” Companion paper to poster at ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, June 25-28th, Columbus, OH, USA.
- Jovanovic, V.M., Djuric, A.D., and Rickli, J.L., 2017, “Hands-On Learning Environment and Educational Curriculum on Collaborative Robotics,” ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, June 25-28th, Columbus, OH, USA.
- Vyas, P. and Rickli, J.L., 2016, “Automatically Extracting and Synthesizing Disassembly Information from CAD Assembly STEP File,” Design for Manufacturing and the Life-Cycle (DFMLC) ASME IDETC 2016, August 21-24, Charlotte, NC, USA.
- Deshmukh, K., Rickli, J.L., Djuric, A., 2016, “Kinematic Modeling of an Automated Laser Line Point Cloud Scanning System,” Submitted to the 44th Annual SME North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC), June 27-July 1, Blacksburg, VA.
- Djuric, A., Urbanic, R.J., and Rickli, J.L., 2016, “A Framework for Collaborative Robot (Cobot) Integration in Advanced Manufacturing Systems,” Submitted to the SAE 2016 World Congress Integrated Design & manufacturing: Robotics and Factory Automation, April 12-14, Detroit, MI.
- Gavidel, S.Z., Rickli, J.L., 2015, “Triage Strategies for Agile Core Sorting in Extreme Value Scenarios,” Abstract accepted & full paper submitted to International Conference on Remanufacturing (ICOR), Amsterdam, Netherland, 2015.
- Rickli, J.L., Crawford, C., Aich, S., Camelio, J.A., 2012, “Damage Diagnosis and Fixture Classification Using Impedance-Based Sensors,” 40th Annual SME North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC XL), June 4-8, South Bend, IN.
- Mashack, D.C., Smith, T.P., Rickli, J.L., Camelio, J.A., and Fleming, S., 2011, “Modeling Residual Stresses Induced by Hole Punching 6013 Aluminum Alloy Side Rails,” 39th Annual SME North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC XXXIX), June 13-17, Corvallis, OR.
- Rickli, J.L., Camelio, J.A., 2010, “Impacting Consumer End-of-Life Product Return Decisions with Incentives,” 17th CIRP International Conference on Life Cycle Engineering, May 19-21, Anhui, China.
- Smith, T., Rickli, J.L., Camelio, J.A., Fleming, S., 2010, “Residual Stress Analysis of Punched Holes in 6013 Aluminum Alloy Commercial Vehicle Side Rails,” SAE Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress and Exhibition, Chicago, IL.
- Rickli, J.L., Camelio, J.A., Zapata, G., 2009, “Partial Disassembly Sequence Optimization of End-of-Life Products for Value Recovery,” Proceedings of ASME International Conference on Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Oct. 4-7, West Lafayette, IN.
- Rickli, J.L., Clarke, A.R., Haapala, K.R., Addo, M., Camelio, J.A., and Sutherland, J.W., 2008, “Reducing the Environmental and Social Impacts of E-Waste Recovery in Developing Countries through Technology and Policy,” Global Conference on Sustainable Product Development and Life Cycle Engineering, Busan, Korea.
- Rickli, J.L., Camelio, J.A., 2007, “Monitoring and Diagnosis of Assembly Fixture Faults using Modified Multivariate Control Charts and Surface Scanning Data,” Proceedings of ASME International Conference on Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Oct. 15-18, Atlanta, GA.
Books & Book Chapters
- Camelio, J.A., Rickli, J.L., McCullough, D., and Prosch, S., 2018, “Energy Considerations in Assembly Operations,” in Energy Efficient Manufacturing with Applications edited by J. Sutherland, D. Dornfeld, and B. Linke, to be published by Wiley-Scrivener.
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Institute of Industrial & Systems Engineering
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding WSU Industrial & Systems Engineering Faculty Award. Engineering Student Faculty Board. 2014/2015 Academic Year.
- Advisor for WSU Undergraduate Research Award for Sanchez, Marcela - UG student entitled, "Comparing the tradeoffs between disassembly sequencing and buy back incentives for high and low value end-of-life products," Poster presented at WSU Undergraduate Research Conference | Full paper and presentation took 1st place at the Undergraduate Research Competition at the 2015 Great Lakes Regional IIE Conference in West Lafayette, IN | competed at Annual IIE UG research competition, 2015.
- NSF sponsored participant of 2013 Pan-American Studies Institute on Manufacturing Innovation through Sustainable Design in Barranquilla, Colombia. 2013.
- Advisor to 1st place CIC/MHE Student Design Competition. Virginia Tech. 2010/2011.
- NSF IGERT Trainee in Sustainable Futures IGERT directed by Michigan Technological University with Southern University and A&M College. 2006/2007, 2007/2008.
Ph.D. Industrial & Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2013.
M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Michigan Technological University. 2008.
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Michigan Technological University. 2006.