Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
5050 Anthony Wayne Dr.
College of Engineering
- Virginia Tech, PhD (2014)
- Virginia Tech, MS (2002)
- Middle East Technical University, BS (2000)
- CE 6340 Bridge Design and Evaluation
- CE 7385 Advanced Topics in Reinforced Concrete
- CE 4420 Reinforced Concrete Design
- BE 1200 Basic Engineering I: Design in Engineering
Graduate: Bridge Design, Design of Building Structures for Seismic Load Effects
Undergraduate: Reinforced Concrete Design, Structural Analysis and Design
- Innovative and sustainable structural systems for buildings and bridges
- Behavior of concrete, steel and composite structures
- Novel materials for infrastructure applications
- Computational modeling to perform limit state analysis
- Resilient lateral load resisting systems
- Experimental research and use of high performance materials
- Structural health monitoring, short and long term behavior of structures
- Forensics and rehabilitation of infrastructure
- Development of Guidelines for Intermediate Diaphragms on PC Beam Superstructures, (co-PI), Michigan Department of Transportation, 2019 –2021, $189,000
- Evaluation of Camber and Deflections for Bridge Girders, (PI), Michigan Department of Transportation, 2019-2021, $301,025.85
- Engineering the Economics of Affordable Urban Housing through the Utilization of High Performance Materials (PI), Richard Barber Interdisciplinary Research Program, 05/15/2018-08/15/2018, $24,600
- Development of a Sustainable UHPC Bridge Deck for Movable Bridges, (PI), Louisiana Transportation Research Center, 2015-2017, $99,306
- Rehabilitation of Deteriorated Timber Piles Using Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites, (PI), Southern Plains Transportation Center, 2016-2017, $35,000
- Enhancement of Structural Health Monitoring Capabilities at Louisiana Tech University Using a Wireless Structural Testing System, (PI), Louisiana Board of Regents, 2016-2017, $18,600
- Development of Alternative Concrete Bridge Systems for Short and Medium Span Bridges (PI) Louisiana Transportation Research Center, 2015-2016, $30,000
- Menkulasi, F., Farzana, N. (2019). "Web Compression Buckling Capacity Prediction for Unstiffened I-sections with Opposite Patch Loading", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Volume 162.
- Baghi, H., Menkulasi, F. (2019). "Alternative Approaches to Predict Shear Strength of Slender RC Beams Strengthened with Externally-Bonded FRP Laminates", ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, In Press.
- Baghi, H., Menkulasi, F., Montes, C., Sandrock, J.P., Gomez, S. (2018). " Four High Performance Nonproprietary Concrete Deck Configurations for Movable Bridges" - Engineering Structures Journal, Volume 168, Pages 559-575.
- Menkulasi, F., Patel, A., Baghi, H. (2018). "An investigation of AASHTO’s requirements for providing continuity in simple span bridges made continuous" - Engineering Structures Journal, Volume 158, 2018, Pages 175-198.
- Menkulasi, F., Kuruppuarachchi, D. (2017). “Development of Alternative Composite Bridge Systems for Short and Medium Span Bridges” - Engineering Structures Journal, Volume 143, 15 July 2017, Pages 274-294.
- Baghi, H., Menkulasi, F., Parker, J., Barros, J.O. (2017). “Development of a High Performance Concrete Deck for Louisiana's Movable Bridges: Numerical Study", ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Volume 22, Issue 7, July 2017.
- Menkulasi, F., Moen, C.D, Eatherton, M.R., Kuruppuarachchi D. (2017) “Investigation of Web Post Compression Buckling Limit State and Stiffener Requirements in Castellated Beams”, AISC Engineering Journal, First Quarter, Volume 54, Issue 1, pp 21-43.
- Menkulasi, F., Mercer, M., Wollmann, C.L.R., Cousins, T. (2016) “Investigation of the Effects of Transverse Bending in a Composite Inverted T-Beam Bridge System”, ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Volume 22, Issue 1, January 2017.
- Menkulasi, F., Wollmann, C.L.R., Cousins, T. (2016) “Live Load Distribution Factors for Composite Bridges with Precast Inverted T-Beams”, ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, Volume 30, Issue 6, December 2016.
- Menkulasi, F., Nelson, D., Wollmann, C.L.R., Cousins, T. (2015) “Reducing Deck Cracking in Composite Bridges by Controlling Shrinkage and Creep Properties”, ACI Special Publication, SP-304 Sustainable Performance of Concrete Bridges and Elements Subjected to Aggressive Environments: Monitoring, Evaluation and Rehabilitation, pp. 21-42.
- Menkulasi, F., Wollmann, C. L. R. (2005) “Behavior of Horizontal Shear Connections for Full-Depth Precast Concrete Bridge Decks on Prestressed I-Girders,” PCI Journal, May-June, pp. 60-73.
Awards and Honors
- Professor of the Year Award (2015-2016) – Louisiana Tech University – Awarded by ASCE student chapters
- Professor of the Year Award (2014-2015) – Louisiana Tech University – Awarded by ASCE, AGC and NASTT student chapters
- Via Academic Preparation Teaching Program (Spring 2013) (competitive academic preparation program offered by Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Virginia Tech)
- Award of Excellence for Commercial Buildings at the Hampton Roads Association for Commercial Real Estate Excellence in Development Design (2011) for “Virginia Arts Festival Headquarters” project
- Pratt Fellowship for PhD studies, (2010-2011)
- Honor Award for “Vieques Passenger Ferry Terminal” project (2009) in Engineering Excellence Awards – Awarded by Engineers Club of Hampton Roads
- Award of Merit for Best Commercial/ Real Estate Building (2009) for “Harbor Heights” project, 13 Annual Excellence in Design Award Program sponsored by The Hampton Roads Association for Commercial Real Estate
- Daniel P. Jenny Research Fellowship, PCI, (2001)