"Welcome to the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science at Wayne State University. Located in the heart of Detroit and connected with chemical, biomedical, and materials industries and academia, our department consists of a dynamic and caring community of teachers, researchers and scholars. Currently, the department has 15 full-time faculty, two full-time staff, 60 graduate students, 170 undergraduate students, and 10 research and postdoctoral staff members. Our students are our highest priority. We provide our students the basic knowledge in thermodynamics, transport phenomena and process safety, as well as a cutting-edge research experience in advanced materials, nanoengineering and sustainable manufacturing with our nationally recognized faculty members. We are proud of the impact of our students and alumni on our professional community."
– Department Chair and Professor Guangzhao Mao
Leader in sustainable engineering education and recipient of both the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) 2016 Sustainable Engineering Forum (SEF) Education Award and the 2010 AIChE Research Excellence in Sustainable Engineering Award – and the first in the chemical engineering community to receive both AIChE honors.
- How “smart” insulin can revolutionize Type 1 Diabetes treatment
- Wayne State and BASF to host lecture series featuring internationally renowned chemical engineers
- Becoming industry-ready: engineering students gaining valuable skills through summer internships
- Chemical engineering students receive prestigious recognition for sustainability research