Admission to the MS in Data Science and Business Analytics (MSDSBA) program is selective. We are looking for exceptional students with a strong interest in data sciences and business analytics who have shown a high level of ability demonstrated by past performance on appropriate coursework and/or by workplace experience as well as standardized testing.
All applicants must meet the requirements for admission to the WSU Graduate School. In addition, the following are the minimum admission requirements for the MS in Data Science and Business Analytics:
- Earned undergraduate degree in any STEM discipline, business discipline, or closely related field from an accredited college or university with a GPA of 3.0 or above
*Applicants from a non-STEM discipline applying for the Advanced Analytics or Data Computing major will need to have successfully completed Calculus I, Calculus II and Elementary Linear Algebra, or the course equivalent at another institution.
**Applicants may also be required to complete STA 5030 - Statistical Computing and Data Analysis and IE 6560 - Deterministic Optimization. These two courses will be utilized as elective credit towards the MS in Data Science and Business Analytics degree.
- Strong letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose: a one-page, typed response to the following question: "What are your career objectives and how will an MS in Data Science and Business Analytics degree contribute to accomplishing these objectives?"
- Resume/CV that highlights the applicant's relevant project and/or professional experiences; if applicable, it should also include the applicant's knowledge and/or skills in mathematics and computer programming
- The GRE is not required for applicants who possess an undergraduate GPA of 3.0/4.0 or above (or the equivalent from a foreign institution). Applicants with a GPA that is below a 3.0/4.0 are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and are expected to provide a GRE score report that is no more than five years old.
- English language proficiency passing test scores are required for international applicants
Applicants are expected to be well-versed in basic probability and statistics as well as a programming language (e.g. C, C++, Java, Python, R, FORTRAN, etc). Applicants who do not have sufficient background in these areas may still be admitted, with the expectation that they take one or more preparatory courses prior to starting the program.
Applicants who do not have sufficient background in mathematics and computing may still be admitted, with the expectation that they take a preparatory course from Wayne State University:
- DSE 5070 - Introduction to Data Computing and Programming
Upcoming virtual information sessions
Meet with representatives from the College of Engineering and the Ilitch School of Business to learn more about the MS in Data Science and Business Analytics program, including degree requirements, admission criteria, the application process, program costs, and more. For upcoming session dates, please visit the college of engineering event calendar.
The MSDSBA program at Wayne State is a practitioner degree that helped me pursue cutting-edge research with world class faculty and enabled a stellar bootcamp experience. The program provided a unique opportunity to gain a deep conceptual understanding of the data science concepts along with exposure to real-world projects.
- More events