Wayne State is a nationally recognized urban center of excellence in research and one of only 10 U.S. public universities in major cities holding the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching’s designation as "doctoral university: highest research activity" by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, as well as the foundation's most comprehensive classification for community engagement. WSU is among the nation’s top public universities for total research expenditures ($218 million) according to the National Science Foundation.
The College's hands-on learning environment stems from studying and working under the direction of recognized world leaders who conduct pioneering research and development in interdisciplinary fields and disciplines such as:
- Automotive safety
- Big data and business analytics
- Biomedical and healthcare engineering
- Cyberphysical systems
- Green technologies
Dr. Lai's primary skills and interests are in the fields of thermal fluid engineering, engine combustion and emissions, energy conversion, alternative energy technology, optical diagnostics and computational fluid dynamics applications.
- WSU research group receives NSF award for collaborative research on the interdependency of drinking water and health systems
- Wayne State research team creating millimeter-scale lithium-ion battery for autonomous applications
- Chemical engineering students receive prestigious recognition for sustainability research
- Wayne State alumnus receives patent for innovative battery technology