Faculty research support
Wayne State is a nationally recognized urban center of excellence in research and one of only 10 U.S. public universities in major cities holding the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching's designation as an institution with "very high research activity," as well as the foundation's most comprehensive classification for community engagement. WSU is among the nation's top public universities for total research expenditures ($245.8 million) according to the National Science Foundation.
The College's hands-on learning environment stems from studying and working under the direction of recognized world leaders who conduct pioneering research and development.
Wayne State University is also a University Research Corridor (URC) partner with the University of Michigan and Michigan State University. The URC partners formed this alliance to improve the understanding of the vital role these three universities have played, and will play, in revitalizing the state's economy.
The mission of Office of the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies is to provide services and support to faculty to promote research and scholarly activities in the College of Engineering.
Specificially, the office:
- disseminates information on federal, state and industrial funding opportunities
- facilitates interdisclipinary collaborative research and partnerships among departments, colleges, institutions, industries and national laboratories
- processes research proposals and maintains budget and account information
- oversees the Research Advisory Committee
- oversees the Graduate Program Directors
Research support office
The College of Engineering Research Support Office exists to assist faculty with all administrative, financial and compliance aspects of proposal submission and management of their externally-funded research awards.
Each department within the College is assigned a Sr. Grant/Contract Administrator who serves as a dedicated resource for proposal development and post-award management needs. These individuals are the first point of contact for any research funding questions or issues that may arise.
The Research Support Office provides the following services to College of Engineering faculty:
- Assistance with proposal preparation, including budget development
- Review of completed proposal package for sponsor compliance and submission of proposal to sponsoring agency
- Generation of monthly financial expenditure reports and projections for all sponsored awards, including cost share accounts
- Review of personnel appointments and change in labor distribution requests on sponsored awards
- Rebudget requests
- Expenditure allowability review and expenditure transfer requests
- Effort reporting
- No-cost extensions
- Facilitating financial reporting and award closeout with Sponsored Program Administration
- Historical proposal, award and expenditure reporting for PIs, departments and the College
The Senior Grant/Contract Administrators should be the first point of contact for any pre- or post-award needs.
Please see below for departmental assignments:
|Biomedical Engineering||Julie Deckeremail@example.com||7-3781|
|Chemical Engineering & Materials Sciences||Rochelle Smithfirstname.lastname@example.org||7-6495|
|Civil & Environmental Engineering||Angela Childreyemail@example.com||7-1365|
|Computer Science||Julie Deckerfirstname.lastname@example.org||7-3781|
|Dean's Office||Angela Childreyemail@example.com||7-1365|
|Electrical & Computer Engineering||Rochelle Smithfirstname.lastname@example.org||7-6495|
|Engineering Technology||Angela Childreyemail@example.com||7-1365|
|Industrial & Systems Engineering||Rochelle Smithfirstname.lastname@example.org||7-6495|
|Mechanical Engineering||Angela Childreyemail@example.com||7-1365|
|Name and Title||Phone|
|Meghan L Connolly, Lead Grant/Contract Administrator (Pre-award services)||firstname.lastname@example.org||7-1953|