George A. Timmons - Hall of Fame (1983)
George A. Timmons received a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering from Wayne State in 1934. In 1935 he received a master's degree in metallurgical engineering from the University of Michigan. During his attendance at the University of Michigan, he was employed as a metallurgist by the Department of Engineering Research.
George was first employed by the American Sheet and Tin Plate Company at Gary, Indiana, as a metallurgist in the control laboratory of the Cold Rolled Sheet Mill. In 1935 he became associated with the Ford Motor Company serving as a laboratory metallurgist in the new Sheet Steel Mill of that organization. He joined Climax Molybdenum Company in May 1936 as a research metallurgist, and in 1946, became assistant director of the Research Laboratory.
In 1952 he became vice president of Climax Molybdenum Company of Michigan and director of research, the position which he held until 1960 when he was appointed general manager of the newly formed Refractory Metal Division of the Michigan Company. With a re-organization of the company in 1969, George became associate director of research of the Ann Arbor Laboratory. He has continued to contribute to the research on molybdenum and molybdenum-base alloys in addition to administrative responsibilities.
George was a member of the National Material Advisory Board Refractory Metal Sheet Rolling Panel and the NMAB Ad Hoc Panel on Gun Tube Technology. He is a registered professional engineer in Michigan, a fellow of the American Society for Metals, and a member of the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical, and Petroleum Engineers, the American Foundrymen's Association and the Engineering Society of Detroit.