Doctor of Philosophy
Program specialization at the PhD degree level may be undertaken in five areas:
- biomechanics of injury
- biomedical instrumentation
- biomedical imaging
- biomaterials and tissue engineering
- computational and systems biology
These program specializations are available to both part-time and full-time students, in either research or non-research degree programs.
Enrollment and graduation statistics
As of Winter 2021, there are 32 students enrolled in the Ph.D. BME Program
Graduation numbers are reported below:
- 6 students graduated in 2017
- 9 students graduated in 2018
- 3 students graduated in 2019
- 9 students graduated in 2020
Detailed information on enrollment and graduation can be obtained through the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE).
Admission to the Doctorate of Philosophy in Biomedical Engineering Program is contingent upon admission to the Graduate School. Beyond that, applicants also need to meet the below additional department admissions requirements. International applicants are required to submit a WES Evaluation.
The minimum requirements for admission into the doctoral program in biomedical engineering are:
- A student seeking admission to the doctoral program must have a bachelor's or master's degree in biomedical engineering, or other closely related field from an accredited institution.
- A GPA of at least 3.5/4.0 in the applicant's bachelor's degree or a GPA of at least 3.3/4.0 in the applicant's master's degree is required.
- Current master's students in the WSU BME program must have:
- At least 12 earned credits in the BME courses
- A GPA of at least 3.3/4.0 in the BME courses
- An approved faculty member who agrees to be the student's Ph.D. advisor
- A GRE score with the following minimum scores on the individual components:
- Verbal – greater or equal to 150
- Quantitative – greater or equal to155
- Analytical writing – 3.5 or greater
- Three (3) letters of recommendation.
- A statement of research interests and goals.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score (minimum score listed below) (if applicable).
- TOEFL - Computer Based Test(CBT) > 215 (203-214, conditional admission)
- Written Based Test (PBT) > 550 (537-549, conditional admission)
- Internet Based Test(IBT) > 79 ( 74-78, can give conditional admission)
- No "IPT"(Institutional Inst. Paper Based Test) TOEFL score accepted
- IELTS - Minimum score 6.5
- MELAB - Minimum score 8.5
For admission and full funding consideration, please have your application completed by March 1st. Most decisions will be released by April 1st.