Ralph H. Kummler Award for Distinguished Achievement in Graduate Student Research
2020-21 Ralph H. Kummler Award for Distinguished Achievement in Graduate Student Research
In memory of the late Dean Emeritus Ralph H. Kummler, the College of Engineering has established the Ralph H. Kummler Distinguished Achievement Award in Graduate Student Research to recognize distinguished research accomplishments of engineering Ph.D. students. The award(s) will be presented to up to two College of Engineering Ph.D. students annually. Previous Kummler Awardees are not eligible to apply. The award will consist of $1,000.
College of Engineering Ph.D. students may submit applications for this distinguished award by providing the following materials. All portions of the application must be typed in a minimum of 12 point font – nothing smaller.
- Cover page (template here)
- A personal statement describing applicant's education background, career objective, research experience and accomplishments - 2 pages maximum (20%)
- A brief description of the thesis research project and the relationship to the applicant's professional development – 1 page maximum (20%)
- A list of academic and research accomplishments at Wayne State University (GPA, assistantships, fellowships, awards, research publications and presentations, conference proceeding papers, etc.) – 2 pages maximum (40%)
- A copy of applicant's 2019-20 annual Ph.D. student review form – mandatory
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members. One of the recommendation letters should be from a faculty member outside the applicant's home department. Recommendation letters should be sent via email directly to the Office of Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies (OADR@eng.wayne.edu) (20%)
The application package must be submitted as a single pdf (excluding recommendation letters, which will be submitted directly to the Office of the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies at OADR@eng.wayne.edu) on or before 11:59 p.m. February 7, 2021. Please note that letters of recommendation are also due at this time.
The College's Research Advisory Committee will review completed applications and will recommend awardees to the Dean. It is anticipated that up to two awards will be given every year. However, depending on the quality of the applications, the Research Advisory Committee reserves the rights to recommend an appropriate number of award(s), if any, for each year.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The application will open January 1, 2021.