The College of Engineering Summer Academy will be held on the campus of Wayne State University. The program provides opportunities for K-12 students to help them explore the fields of engineering and computer science by teaching them skills that are necessary for those fields through project-based learning.
K-8th grade camps
Join us for an exciting two-week day camp that will expose campers to activities including engineering, computer science, arts, and STEAM literacy. Each day campers will use outside of the box thinking and will be challenged to adapt to new scenarios. During the two-week camp, students will learn to code and build as a team through Robotics, MinecraftEDU, Spheros, Drones, iPads, Apple Swift Playground, Gaming, Animations, 3D Printing, and more. During demonstration day at the end of each session, campers will showcase the projects they worked on as a team. Students that want to attend both sessions will enjoy new projects.
Session 1: July 10 - July 20, 2023
Session 2: July 24 to August 3, 2023
Monday - Thursday (4 days/week) | 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
$800 per session (2 weeks per session)
Each registered student receives one t-shirt. Students are expected to wear their t-shirts daily.
Drop-off at 8:30 a.m and Pick-up by 4:00 p.m.
5048 Gullen Mall (STEM building) | Engineering Outreach Office, Room 119, Detroit, MI 48202
Students will be separated by elementary and middle school levels and grouped with appropriate grades. Teams will consist of Rising 1st - 2nd grades, Rising 3rd - 5th grades, and Rising 6th - 8th grades.
Class sizes are 25-30 per class with a 5:1 Student:Teacher Ratio for elementary students and 6:1 Student:Teacher Ratio for middle school students. On average there are 5 students per team.
Students will enjoy lunch daily inside the university's Towers CafÃ© which may accommodate food allergies, vegetarian, and Halal.
Field trips are planned weekly. Students will walk to and from field trip locations. Walking distance are less than a ½ mile from campus. Students are shuttled to further distances.
Limited scholarships are available for students that qualify for free and reduced lunch or financial hardship.
Facilitated by experienced Wayne State University engineering faculty and staff. Engineering graduate and undergraduate students serve as peer mentors and instructors. All staff are background checked and receive training in child safety, first aid, and CPR.
On the last day of each session, students will present their finished project and receive a certificate.
9th-12th grade camps
This program is open to all rising 9-12th grade students.
- (Week 1) July 10-13, 2023
- (Week 2) July 17-20, 2023
- (Week 3) July 31-August 3, 2023
Monday - Thursday | 10:00 a.m - 3:00 p.m.
Transportation and lunch will be provided to students.
C2 Pipeline schools
- C2 site students that attend one of our camps will receive a full scholarship
Non C2 Pipeline schools
- Weekly fee: $100
- Students that receive reduced lunch, the cost for camp is $50 per week.
- Students that receive free lunch, the cost for camp is $25 per week.
In partnership with BUF Michigan, we are also offering Aviation Career Education (ACE) Academy this summer.
(Week 1) July 10 - 13, 2023
- Drones - Learn all about the eyes in the skies in this interactive camp. From UAVs to automated vehicles, campers will build their knowledge of Electrical Software, intelligent system technology and, of course, drones!
- Cyber Security - This course is jam-packed with content and will take a beginner in cybersecurity & ethical hacking from baseline to being able to hack wireless routers, crack passwords, and understand the reasoning behind those processes. Students will explore their interest in computer science and cybersecurity through topics in High Tech Crime, Cryptography & Steganography, Mobile Forensics, Catching Phish, and more. This camp even offers students the opportunity to gain experience in the field of Social Engineering, the behind-the-scenes superheroes of today’s hacking headlines. Can you crack the code?
(Week 2) July 17- 20, 2023
- Engineering in Medicine - The summer program will introduce students to the research and education program focused on removing boundaries between engineering and the medical fields. Students will be introduced to the field of biomedical engineering, innovative engineering solutions, solve problems in biology, physiology, and medicine.
- Minecraft - Put your Minecraft ingenuity into action with this video game-inspired camp. Participants will create their own Minecraft levels and learn JAVA programming to take part in exciting Minecraft design challenges, all while playing video games!
- Robotics - Build and program your very own LEGO® Mindstorm Robot. Challenge fellow campers and their robots to exciting challenges in this lively, project-based learning environment!
(Week 3) July 31 - August 3, 2023
- Aviators and Engineers - Fly high with this crash-course in aerospace and aviation! Learn about the rapidly changing world of flight and space technology with firsthand, exhilarating experiences and instruction in aerospace engineering. Participants require additional waivers to co-pilot an actual plane.
- Construction Technology - Exciting field trips to relevant technology and construction sites guide your learning in this interactive Civil Engineering experience. Participate in creative tasks and learn the essentials of the construction design and management field today.