AGRADE (4+1)

Bayaan Odeh
Through the AGRADE program, alumna Bayaan Odeh was able to complete her master’s degree a year after receiving her bachelor's degree.
Learn more about her WSU engineering journey

AGRADE is Wayne State University's Accelerated Graduate Enrollment program. It is designed to provide our top students with a jump-start on graduate school. Students, in conjunction with their undergraduate and graduate advisors, develop a plan of work that counts up to 16 credits of coursework toward both the B.S. and M.S. degrees.

Who is eligible?

Students who have completed at least 90 credits of coursework may apply to the AGRADE program- which is generally during the junior year. To be accepted into AGRADE, a student must have achieved a 3.3 overall (college and university) grade point average and a 3.45 GPA for the courses taken within their undergraduate department of specialization (Major department).

What are the benefits?

Save time and money! The credits that are counted toward both your B.S. and M.S. degrees are completed at undergraduate tuition rates- which is about one-third less than the graduate tuition rate for Michigan residents. In addition, you save the time that you would normally need to devote to taking those courses- 16 credits of coursework in an M.S. program typically is spread over two semesters.

What should I do next?

Talk to your undergraduate academic advisor and discuss your graduate education goals. Then set up a meeting with the faculty graduate program officer or the master's program that you are interested in. They will help you get ready for the next step in your education.

AGRADE graduate programs

*These programs will accept student's diverse B.S. programs as long as appropriate coursework and technical electives are selected. Please see the faculty graduate program officer for more information.

AGRADE application


What minimum grade do I need to earn in an AGRADE course? For classes that you take to count toward both your B.S. and M.S., you must earn at least a B (not a B-) in the class in order to apply it to your M.S. requirements.

When should I apply for the AGRADE Program? Apply during the semester that you will earn 90 credits. This will keep your options open. Until you are accepted to the AGRADE program, you cannot count any classes that you have taken toward your M.S. requirements.

How can I find out what my AGRADE program options are? Talk to your advisor. There are many cross-disciplinary programs available. The Biomedical Engineering program accepts students from all undergraduate engineering fields as well as Biophysics. Materials Science accepts students from chemical and mechanical engineering as well as chemistry and physics. If it hasn't been done before, ask- you may be the first one to help us develop a new program combination.

Can I use my AGRADE courses towards a Ph.D.?  Courses that you count towards both your B.S. and M.S. can not also be used towards your Ph.D.  WSU Registrar's Office says no triple-dipping!  If you chose to pursue a Ph.D. program, talk to your advisor early about your Ph.D. plan of work.